Leaking Water Heater Drain Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

NEOHMatt

Reaction score
So about 3 weeks ago I found my water heater drain valve is leaking. Not out the actual hose connection part, but around the valve stem. A very slow drip (small bowl will take a week or two to fill up). I’m considering trying to replace the valve assembly since it’s currently a plastic assembly. However the tank is 25 years old (yes I know I’m living in borrowed time) so I am trying to decide if the job is just going to be such that I’ll end up beating myself up for the better part of a day trying to do it and it still won’t work or if I should just pay for a new tank, or if it’s not going to be too bad to swap out the valve.

Part of the reason for delaying the replacement of the whole tank is that we were thinking about replacing our boiler and doing and indirect water storage tank instead of an independent water heater, but we haven’t committed to that yet.

I figured I’d come here to get the advice of the experts! Thanks!!!

Reach4

Reaction score
I replaced my WH drain valve for a non-leak reason. That plastic drain can be unscrewed into two parts. The thread on the left of the picture is 3/4 NPT. ON the right is a garden hose thread. If I remember correctly, if you unscrew the big diameter enough, you could pull that out. Of course you would expect water to come out while that valve is separated.
index.php

I replaced my plastic drain valve with several parts: nipple, full flow drain valve, GHT adapter. There is now available a brass full
flow drain valve, which I would have used instead.
Drain Valves:
Rheem AP12231C-1 Overall Length (in.): 6-1/8
Rheem SP12231B Overall Length (in.): 3-3/4
Rheem AP12231B-1 Overall Length (in.): 3-3/4

NEOHMatt

Reaction score
My valve looks a little different than that one but maybe I’m missing something.

F9A33833-F4D5-4901-B670-DFC2F15ADA3D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Normally I remove the plastic valve and install a brass nipple and ball valve and place a plug in the ball valve discharge to prevent children or someoe accidently moving the handle

NEOHMatt

Reaction score
Normally I remove the plastic valve and install a brass nipple and ball valve and place a plug in the ball valve discharge to prevent children or someoe accidently moving the handle

Right. That’s what I was thinking as well, but I’m afraid if I can’t get the job done quickly then we don’t have hot water until I can get the tank replaced. :-/

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Right. That’s what I was thinking as well, but I’m afraid if I can’t get the job done quickly then we don’t have hot water until I can get the tank replaced. :-/

I'd say figure out your plan now rather than wait . boiler/ storage tank regular water heater easier and less stressful to shop and price it out now just put the bowl for a few more days and make up mind

NEOHMatt

Reaction score
So you’re suggesting don’t try to replace the drain valve? Unfortunately money is a real consideration right now. A boiler/indirect replacement is a big investment and we’re not sure if we can swing that right now unless we absolutely had to. So the $20 valve is appealing to buy us time if we do want to eventually go indirect. So many decisions. :-/

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks