Leaking shower drain - pictures

Users who are viewing this thread

Pktaske

Reaction score
I think I have a leak where the drain mates with the shower pan. I've tried putty and epoxy but they just slowed it down. I don't think I'm getting a good, flexible seal. I did not prep it at all before application either.

Here are some pics. Note I can pry it up a little bit with a screwdriver. Doesn't seem to be any gasket material underneath that I can see...but I can't see much.

How does this fitting come off if I need to pull it? It's about 30 years old. I thought the ring was separate but seems attached to the neck that extends down.

Thanks....

Attachments

• IMG-20111013-00449.jpg
    IMG-20111013-00449.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 814
  • IMG-20111013-00448 (Large).jpg
    IMG-20111013-00448 (Large).jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 531
  • Monroe-20111013-00450 (Large).jpg
    Monroe-20111013-00450 (Large).jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 518
Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There was probably a bead of plumber's putty underneath that drain at one point making the seal. There's probably a nut underneath that tightened it down.

Pktaske

Reaction score
Thanks. Pulling up the pan is not an option at this point. What can I use to seal it? Note that there is a recessed ring around the drain. You can see it in the screwdriver pic.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Not an option?

If the flange is that loose, you will never seal it.
You need to pull the flange and replace it. Silicone works well there. I suppose you can clean it up and try, but I would use new parts.

Pktaske

Reaction score
It's not loose at all - just that I can pry it up a bit.

I sanded the groove and flange and roughed it up. Cleaned and put waterproof epoxy. Sealed like a charm.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; It's not loose at all - just that I can pry it up a bit.

Loose MEANS you can pry it up. You did NOT need a "good, flexible seal". You needed a "tight, NONflexible" seal if you were going to stop the leak. As long as redoing the shower was an option, (in case this did not work), you might have tried using a "WingMan" replacement drain which installs from the top of the shower floor.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks