Leak in pressure tank for about two weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve3000

Reaction score
Im on a fixed income. I had a big leak from a old galvanized tank. I would turn off/ on my pump at the breaker when I needed it. Maybe twice a day long enuff to shower, flush toilet, wash dishes. Got a new tank and a new switch. Hooked everything up, no water. Its a submersible pump. The switch is humming. Im stuck.

Reach4

Reaction score
The switch is humming. Im stuck.
Do you mean the pressure switch or the breaker? I have a hard time thinking that a pressure switch can hum, and I would expect a breaker to not hum for long before tripping.

Steve3000

Reaction score
Do you mean the pressure switch or the breaker? I have a hard time thinking that a pressure switch can hum, and I would expect a breaker to not hum for long before tripping.
Yes at the pressure switch it is a hum/vibration. The breaker is new and doesn't trip.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Since the pump had been working prior to replacing the pressure switch, it would seem either the pressure switch was not wired correctly or, a problem with the new switch. What was the issue with the old switch to cause you to replace it? Are the new pressure settings identical to the old switch it replaces?

Can you post a photo of the pressure switch with the cover removed?

Steve3000

Reaction score
Since the pump had been working prior to replacing the pressure switch, it would seem either the pressure switch was not wired correctly or, a problem with the new switch. What was the issue with the old switch to cause you to replace it? Are the new pressure settings identical to the old switch it replaces?

Can you post a photo of the pressure switch with the cover removed?
Hi yes. The two wires in the center are from the pump.

Attachments

• Snapchat-375542906.jpg
    Snapchat-375542906.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 179

Reach4

Reaction score
1. Is there a control box hooked between the pressure switch and the pump?

2. Would chatter be a better description of the sound than hum?

Steve3000

Reaction score
1. Is there a control box hooked between the pressure switch and the pump?

2. Would chatter be a better description of the sound than hum?
1. No control box.
2. Maybe, but there is a for sure vibration.

Fitter30

Reaction score
The switch is satisfied system is up to pressure. If when you strip the wires and leave 1/2" insulation on the very end the bare wire can be wrapped around the screw and then it will hold its shape better for a better connection and not look like the far right black wire which needs to be redone . Strip 1 1/4" off wire then 1 /2" and leave it on the end.

Bannerman

Reaction score
The wiring should be routed through the knock-outs on the side of the switch casing. The two outer wires extending over the switch routed away from your camera location, appear too close to the switch contacts which could cause interference with the contact movement and prevent the contacts from closing.

Reach4

Reaction score
As I understand it, you put in a new pressure tank.
1. Is that a galvanized tank, or an air precharged tank?
2. The pressure switch should be sensing the pressure very close to the input of the pressure tank. How about a photo showing the input to the pressure tank and the pressure switch. Maybe show the pressure gauge too.

Typically power is supplied between terminals 1 and 4, and terminals 2 and 3 go the pump. During chattering/humming, what voltage shows across 2 and 3? I am suspecting the armature is vibrating and the voltage will be much less than across terminals 1 and 4.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks