Laundy room/mudroom

Users who are viewing this thread

sbeausol

Reaction score
Laundy room/mudroom vent question

I'm in the process of moving my washer/dryer from the basement to the first floor. My initial design for DWV doesn't look like it will work because for some reason there are a few extra studs. The plumbing shown is on an exterior wall.

Here was what I had hoped I could do, however, since this is a load bearing wall, I cannot bore 2.5" holes through the 2x4s:
Slide3.jpg

Here are the two options I came up with. Option 1 - both fixtures share a 2" vent which originates from the drain pipe below the floor - no studs are harmed here
Slide1.jpg

In this scenario, I would probably squeeze the vent in where the outlet is so I don't have to bore through any of the 2x4s, but will the sink vent properly? The two fixtures are roughly 3' apart

Option 2 - likely a better venting scenario for the sink, and I can use 1.5" pipe to get it through the 2x4s without compromising them but there are 5 studs to bore thru... Once again, I would move vent to where outlet is to avoid boring 2.5" holes thru load bearing studs:
Slide2.jpg

Option 2 is a dirty arm as I understand it (or a re-vent?), however option 1 seems like it should be feasible as well? I'm not sure why those two extra studs are there otherwise the original design would have likely been doable since I would be boring through the jack stud and the king studs are doubled up. Since it's not clear what role they play I'm not sure they should be touched.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks