Laundry drain advice needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Rich J

Reaction score
See attached image. This problem has me stumped. I have old laundry faucets with the drain vent in between. I need to install a new outlet box and get a drain solution. I have very limited space so I will be using stackable w/d with shallow depth. I can't have anything protruding from the wall. So I also need to remove the old drain elbow that you see in the picture. I've purchased a new electrical PVC box to use as a custom outlet box as my pipes have an 8" span.

Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks

Attachments

• 15663180850616170131494590078363.jpg
    15663180850616170131494590078363.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 153

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You look to have an old 1.5" sink drain there. Most washers use a 2" standpipe at least 18" tall with a 2" p-trap.
If the drain lines are clear, you may be able to drain with 1.5". In those cases I increase the standpipe diameter to 2" above the p-trap and make it at least 24" long.
You have to cut out what is there now to add the box and fit it inside the wall. The supply lines may need to be cut and threaded and then adapted to the box.
Using either ABS or PVC for the drain and vent, you will need to pick up the proper shielded couplings to go between steel and plastic.

It may be easier to drill over into the stud bay on the left for that. Then you cut in a santee facing to the left for the p-trap in the next bay and have the box on that side. That way the vent can be left there.

washer_rough_sno.jpg

washer-rough-dual.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks