Kohler canister valve rotating

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Mac1, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Mac1

Mac1 New Member

My Kohler canister valve rotates after flushing so the chain tightens up and won’t allow the valve to seat. I can rotate it back into position but after 20 or so more a flushes it does it again. Tried different chain adjustments (tighter/looser) but no permanent fix. What can I do now?

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Mike Jaramillo

Mike Jaramillo New Member

the plastic guide rod may not be working up and down freely. hard water can cause a build up. my toilet was getting harder and harder to flush because it was sticking. the force needed to lift the canister up was increasing because of the sticking. I replaced the gasket on the bottom of the canister and while i had the canister out of the toilet, i noticed the guide rod was sticking. after closer inspection it had a buildup of calcium. i cleaned it and put a little bit of plumbers grease on the rod. there are videos on youtube showing how to remove the canister. after i reinstalled the canister, it flushed like it was brand new, silky smooth

5. Dan2212

Dan2212 New Member

I put in one of these toilets in 2012. Worked great for about 7 years. Then the canister would twist as you describe, and the canister wouldn't seal completely. I changed the gasket.. It had a red gasket that had gotten squishy over the years. I think this caused the canister to stick, and when you pulled it up with the chain, the extra resistance caused it to twist in a wonky fashion, thus twisting the chain. I put in a new Kohler yellow gasket, and haven't had any problems since... April 17, 2020.

[​IMG]