kITCHEN SINK

Users who are viewing this thread

PDMAUI@NETZERO.COM

Reaction score
I have a new sink, faucet and garbage diposer. My problem is there is no cut off valve for the water under the sink. I need to know what kind of valve to buy. My pipes are copper and I think there are 1/4". Do I have to flare them before I put on a valve or do the valves seal the opening. I have tried to figure this out but when I went to Lowe's they had a bizzillion valve types. I just need a simple one shop answer. I know I should probably call a plumber but I love doing these things myself. That's why I bought a fixer-upper.Thanks :confused:

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
1/4" sounds odd to have under a sink. Most supplies leading to a sink are usually 1/2" with a reduction to 3/8" to supply the faucet. Take pictures to clarify the situation. Most applications work with the 1/4 turn straight or angle stops (whichever applies) that are compression on both ends. Not a must have but most common.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I doubt they are 1/4", normal is 1/2". You need to figurethatout first. THen, is it copper, plastic (cpvc), or galvanized. It is possible that it is another plastic - if it is grey, then you've got other problems.

If it is copper, you can cut off the fitting that is there now (unless it is a threaded connection - then you can use that) and use a compression fitting. Plastic would require a different approach.

There is no one answer. You can probably do it, but you need to investigate more. If you have a digital camera, you can attach one to your answer...that often can clear things up. You need to tweak the picture so it is small enough. Scroll down below the box for text to manage attachments to add a picture.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valves

Lowes should only have about 4 to 6 different valves, but you don't give us any definite data, other than that the pipes are copper, to determine which one you can use.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks