Kitchen Sink Basket Leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Wpollock

Reaction score
The drain assembly on the large bowl(opposite the one connected to the disposal) is less than two years old. When cleaning the sink and drain yesterday I noticed the drain spin when I was cleaning with a sponge.A couple of hours later I heard a drip sound and when I looked at the underside I could see a drip from the area between the rubber mounting gasket and the sink. Wondering if I can simply remove the drain,clean everything up and reinstall using a seal of new plumber's putty?
Also,which connections do I need to disconnect to allow me to remove the gaskets and retaining nut from the bottom of the sink?
Pictures are attached and thanks for any replies

Attachments

• Kitchen Sink.jpg
    Kitchen Sink.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 221
  • Kitchen Sink Drain.jpg
    Kitchen Sink Drain.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 211

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can remove, clean and then reinstall the basket. Normally just the nut below the basket is all that needs to be undone. the the large basket nut comes off too.

Wpollock

Reaction score
You can remove, clean and then reinstall the basket. Normally just the nut below the basket is all that needs to be undone. the the large basket nut comes off too.
As is often the case,at least when I attempt to make a home repair,things that look so easy online go to hell in a hand basket. Case in point,after removing the steel nut connecting the top of the drain tail piece to the bottom of the sink drain basket,I am now trying to loosen(lefty loosey/righty tighty) the large retainer flange nut that secures the bottom of the drain basket to the sink. It is tight to the point I am unable to hold the drain basket body stationary and keep it from turning while using my channel locks to loosen the large flange nut. Any ideas on how I can keep it from turning while I get the large nut to "break" and begin to loosen?

Wpollock

Reaction score
As is often the case,at least when I attempt to make a home repair,things that look so easy online go to hell in a hand basket. Case in point,after removing the steel nut connecting the top of the drain tail piece to the bottom of the sink drain basket,I am now trying to loosen(lefty loosey/righty tighty) the large retainer flange nut that secures the bottom of the drain basket to the sink. It is tight to the point I am unable to hold the drain basket body stationary and keep it from turning while using my channel locks to loosen the large flange nut. Any ideas on how I can keep it from turning while I get the large nut to "break" and begin to loosen?
I should add without damaging the threads on the sink drain basket as well.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They do have a tool that fits inside the drain to hold it. Or sometimes I take a hack saw to the nut and install a new drain.

sink-basket-removal-1.jpg

This one I took a sawzall to.

old-baslet-torn-out.jpg

And this one I bent inward with pliers.

Last edited:

Wpollock

Reaction score
They do have a tool that fits inside the drain to hold it. Or sometimes I take a hack saw to the nut and install a new drain.
Yes I will in all likelihood get one from my local Home Depot if I am not fortunate enough to loosen it soon

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks