Kitchen Island on Slab: AAV Location

Users who are viewing this thread

CleanSC

Reaction score
Fellas.

I have a reconfigured kitchen island which now has been plumbed for a small prep sink. The stub-out is a few cabinets away (but under 5 feet) from the sink cabinet but is accessible via a chase for access to the other workings inside the island.

This house is on a concrete slab on grade so a loop vent is not an option. In my area AAV's are allowed.

Can I place the AAV as shown in the diagram, or must it be under the sink? Again, it's very accessible here as there's a mechanical chase at this location. Bonus question: Where would you put a clean-out? Just under the AAV?

Thanks, all!

ISLAND.jpg

Attachments

• ISLAND.jpg
    ISLAND.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 344

Reach4

Reaction score
That horizontal between the u-shaped part of the trap and the sanitary tee is called the trap arm. Florida use IPC.
You should be good as shown in your picture.
index.php

A cleanout anywhere on that vertical would be good, and below the AAV and above the santee looks like a great spot.

CleanSC

Reaction score
Thanks, Reach.

This is a first: a diagram I get right on the first try! Hell I must be learning something around here. ;)

Yes, I somehow had in my head that 5 feet was the longest trap arm distance which is why I had mentioned we were well under that. Looks like I can go as high as 8 which is even better.

Now to figure out the ice maker drain this island. I'm wary of standpipes due to rodents in the DWV system...

Reach4

Reaction score
Now to figure out the ice maker drain this island.
The island will contain an ice maker? You may have to pump that drainage, I would think, unless you can put in a floor drain with a trap below the floor.

CleanSC

Reaction score
The machine has a drain pump, but those always break so a gravity solution would be nice but the whole setup would have to be above the slab. So I'm SOL there unless we can squeeze all that into 4" off the floor. ;)

I was thinking of just pumping it into the disposer's dishwasher drain connection but thoughts of cross contamination come to mind in doing so... I could do a standpipe but it would need to be tightly gapped at the top (or small diameter pipe) for critters... Should be more sanitary than the disposer, no?

Reach4

Reaction score
I was thinking of just pumping it into the disposer's dishwasher drain connection but thoughts of cross contamination come to mind in doing so... I could do a standpipe but it would need to be tightly gapped at the top (or small diameter pipe) for critters... Should be more sanitary than the disposer, no?
Most places require an air gap for a dishwasher.

What about putting a sink strainer atop your standpipe, or tape a simple screen up there?
stainless-steel-glacier-bay-sink-strainers-7044-104ss-64_145.jpg
kitchen-bathroom-strainer.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CleanSC

Reaction score
Good ideas! So that stack will be a busy place, 2 santees, a clean out and the aav on top and a standpipe right next to it. I'll draw up a new diagram tomorrow.

Is there a minimum size of pipe for the standpipe? The smaller the better in this case as it's getting tight in there, hah.

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
So that stack will be a busy place, 2 santees,
With 1 santee above the other, I think that would be OK under IPC, but it would be better if one of the plumbers who work with IPC to comment on that. I am not a plumber. My feeling is the top santee would be best for the ice machine due to that being a very low flow. A diagram would help present your proposal better.

Is there a minimum size of pipe for the standpipe? The smaller the better in this case as it's getting tight in there, hah.
I don't think there is a minimum. Are you thinking maybe 1 inch? I don't know if you are going to find a pre-made p-trap smaller than 1.25, but maybe there is one and I guess you can make one.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If the ice machine drain is just for melting ice, maybe a gallon a day, you can use a condensate pump. For drainage, put a sanitee right above the wye for the trap arm. Tee off with a 1.5" pipe and a bathroom sink trap. Extend it (a tail piece) as high as possible under the cabinet and install the ice drain into the open end of the pipe to create an air gap. You'll need to prime (fill) the trap if the ice machine is not yet connected and draining water.

There are air gap devices on the market that you can use. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....sland-on-slab-aav-location.86303/#post-619380

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/under-counter-air-gap-for-dishwasher.70822/

index.php

CleanSC

Reaction score
I'd like to start ordering fittings tomorrow, does the above diagram show everything correctly? Anything to add or change? Thanks, all!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks