Kitchen Faucet Replacement...problems with leak and cold water valve won't shut off

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by RSMBob, May 31, 2011.

  1. RSMBob

    RSMBob New Member

    May 31, 2011
    RSM, CA
    It's been a plumbing crisis here...2 weeks ago water in the garage...thought it was leaky dishwasher (which needed replacing anyways) but it was a pipe in the wall...fortunately it was almost at ground level so not much damage.

    Had dishwasher replaced last week...uncovered a leaky kitchen faucet that has caused pretty extensive water/mold damage under sink and adjacent cabinet interior. Been trying to dry it out for the last week.

    Bought a new faucet to replace the leaky one and I go to shut the H and C water off...Cold won't shut off. Valve turns but nothing happens.

    I take it that I need to shut off at the main valve before I do anything and either replace the cold water shut-off valve or put another one in as an extension between the broken valve and the faucet supply line. The latter is kind of cheating so how hard is it to replace the regular quarter-turn shut-off valve?

    Any advice is appreciated.
  2. jadnashua

    jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

    Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    Valves can be soldered on, threaded on, or held in place by compression fittings. Hard to say how to replace yours, since it could be any one of those three methods of attachment. Generally, the most common attachment on newer homes is a compression fitting. Older ones may be soldered or threaded on. A picture would make it easier for someone to tell, but given the description, you can probably tell yourself. A compression fitting will have a separate compression nut on the backside. A threaded one will probably have some threads showing on the pipe. A soldered one won't have any threads, nut or wrench flats on it, since you don't need to turn it once installed. Actually, there is a fourth method - a push-on, cinch valve. This won't have any wrench flats, threads, or nuts.
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. PlumbersSanJose

    PlumbersSanJose San Jose Plumber

    May 30, 2011
    San Jose Plumber
    San Jose
    The answer to your question is that this type of valve replacment is generally pretty straight forward once the water is turned of depending on the accesability of the area.
Similar Threads: Kitchen Faucet
Forum Title Date
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Removing American Standard Kitchen Faucet Handles Sep 14, 2017
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Can anyone help me identify this kitchen faucet brand? Sep 9, 2017
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Kitchen Faucet identification Sep 1, 2017
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Help Disconnecting old kitchen faucet's Quick Connect Aug 12, 2017
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Cannot determine manufacturer of kitchen faucet Aug 9, 2017

Share This Page