Kitchen Faucet Replacement...problems with leak and cold water valve won't shut off

Users who are viewing this thread

RSMBob

Reaction score
It's been a plumbing crisis here...2 weeks ago water in the garage...thought it was leaky dishwasher (which needed replacing anyways) but it was a pipe in the wall...fortunately it was almost at ground level so not much damage.

Had dishwasher replaced last week...uncovered a leaky kitchen faucet that has caused pretty extensive water/mold damage under sink and adjacent cabinet interior. Been trying to dry it out for the last week.

Bought a new faucet to replace the leaky one and I go to shut the H and C water off...Cold won't shut off. Valve turns but nothing happens.

I take it that I need to shut off at the main valve before I do anything and either replace the cold water shut-off valve or put another one in as an extension between the broken valve and the faucet supply line. The latter is kind of cheating so how hard is it to replace the regular quarter-turn shut-off valve?

Any advice is appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Valves can be soldered on, threaded on, or held in place by compression fittings. Hard to say how to replace yours, since it could be any one of those three methods of attachment. Generally, the most common attachment on newer homes is a compression fitting. Older ones may be soldered or threaded on. A picture would make it easier for someone to tell, but given the description, you can probably tell yourself. A compression fitting will have a separate compression nut on the backside. A threaded one will probably have some threads showing on the pipe. A soldered one won't have any threads, nut or wrench flats on it, since you don't need to turn it once installed. Actually, there is a fourth method - a push-on, cinch valve. This won't have any wrench flats, threads, or nuts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks