Kitchen faucet problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

bru20

Reaction score
I have a Moen 87581, single handle w/ sidespray kitchen faucet. It was installed by me about 5 years ago. I did not install the sidespray that came with, keeping the original sidespray attached.

Problem is low flow when using cold water. When hot water is added (or used alone) the flow increases. First thought it was a cold water supply problem. Looked at the valve (20 year old Jameco with plastic internals) and after turning, the water flow out of faucet became worse, almost a trickle, and I couldn't get it back to how it was so I assumed the valve was bad, stuck halfway closed perhaps.

Then I played around a bit and realized the sidespray works fine. Good flow, even when the faucet flow was a trickle. Rotating the handle back and forth a few times between cold and hot seemed to get the flow back to how it originally was, not great, but not a trickle either.

So these two factors lead to me to think it is the faucet itself. But I don't know what could be wrong. Would it be the cartridge? I've replaced Moen cartridges in the shower faucet but can't remember what the symptoms were. Could it be the diverter? Since the sidespray and hot water seem to work fine and my rotating the handle seemed to improve things, to a point. Or could it be my original assumption that the cold water flow to the faucet is not correct.

Here is an e-p-v of the faucet. I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thank you.

http://www.moen.com/shared/docs/exploded-parts-views/87581pt.pdf

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Make sure the washer is still in place on the cold stop valve. Do this by turning all the water off to your home and relieving the pressure by opening an outside hose faucet. Unscrew the nut directly below the handle,this is called the packing nut. Once the packing nut is loose and off its threads,unscrew the stem by turning the handle counter-clockwise. The washer should be on the end of the stem. If its not,look into the valve body and look for it being stuck in the valve.

If the washer is still on the end of the stem and its tight,you could replace the washer or simply re-install it as it is.

If the washer is intact on the cold stem,I would replace the diverter if the faucet still has low pressure.....or atleast take the faucet apart and check for an obstruction.

bru20

Reaction score
Thanks. Are these parts (packing nut, stem) visible in the diagram?

One other clue I came across. When the faucet is off and the handle is at either 9 o'clock (hot) or 3 o'clock (cold), no issue. But if the handle is at 6 o'clock (hot/cold mix) there is a leak (drip). That tells me something. What I'm not sure :confused: .

bru20

Reaction score
Jimbo, can you help me understand the difference between the diverter and cartridge? And why you think it is the cartridge as opposed to the diverter or the cold water supply as Hackney Plumbing mentions?

Also how will I remove the cartridge?

I looked at my old Moen (87500A) and the cartridge just lifted out, no retainer clip that I could see. The 87581 has a retainer clip that looks as if it is below the escutcheon and therefore I think I must remove the escutcheon via the retaining nut underneath. Thank you

Attachments

• 87581.jpg
    87581.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 11,220
Last edited:

bru20

Reaction score
Make sure the washer is still in place on the cold stop valve. Do this by turning all the water off to your home and relieving the pressure by opening an outside hose faucet. Unscrew the nut directly below the handle,this is called the packing nut. Once the packing nut is loose and off its threads,unscrew the stem by turning the handle counter-clockwise. The washer should be on the end of the stem. If its not,look into the valve body and look for it being stuck in the valve.

If the washer is still on the end of the stem and its tight,you could replace the washer or simply re-install it as it is.

If the washer is intact on the cold stem,I would replace the diverter if the faucet still has low pressure.....or atleast take the faucet apart and check for an obstruction.

Rereading this I now understand you are talking about the cold water valve under the sink as opposed to anything having to do with the faucet. So your assumption is that it may be the cold water supply.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If the faucet drips or leaks when the handle is turned OFF....that is the cartridge. The symptoms of a bad diverter are water does not turn off completely at spount when using hand held, or water does not come BACK to the spout when hand held is released.

bru20

Reaction score
If the faucet drips or leaks when the handle is turned OFF....that is the cartridge. The symptoms of a bad diverter are water does not turn off completely at spount when using hand held, or water does not come BACK to the spout when hand held is released.

OK thanks. It almost seems that I have multiple issues. The leak indicates the cartridge. But when I use the hand held it doesn't shut off the water from faucet. And then there is the low flow from the cold side. Could that also be attributed to the cartridge? Or is it somehow related to the supply, most likely the cold stop valve?

Cartridge, diverter and cold stop valve all at once??? Oh my. Thanks for all your help.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks