Kinetico FLT/SFT Para-Flo 4040 Quad tank with neutralizer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rick M

Reaction score
I just bought a home near Fort Mill, SC and the seller said the Kinetico Water Softener was offline because it needs a "rebuild and new resin and neutralizer". I called a Kinetico dealer and he came out, tested the water and it was slightly acid at about 6.0ph and 5 grains of hardness. It turned from a service call into a sales presentation and he said it needed to be replaced with a new unit and quoted over $4,000.

I don't understand why it can not be rebuilt, it's just tanks, resin, neutralizer, water turbines and a few valves, but maybe there's more to than I know, that's why I'm here to ask advice of those who know. Is this unit too old or maybe has known problems with it? I'm a retired mechanic and have repaired my water softener at out old home when the valves were sticking, so I would have no problems rebuilding this unit myself. I've already watched a dozen videos on the various steps involved and it looks very straight forward to service.

I've located the rebuild seal kit ($120) but not sure what resin and calcium carbonate neutralizer to order or how much of it. I found 1 cu ft (50lbs) of 8% crosslinked resin for $110 and 0.5 cu ft of Aqua-Pure C-050P Calcium Carbonate media for $61. Is that the correct media and would that me enough for one rebuild?

I would be very grateful to any advice and suggestions from someone knowledgeable with this water conditioner.

Attachments

• 20210413_101517.jpg
    20210413_101517.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 229
  • 20210413_101527.jpg
    20210413_101527.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 244
  • 20210413_101539.jpg
    20210413_101539.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 234

Kevin Trinh

Reaction score
Rick,
I have rebuilt Quad 50/51 for a friend and it need about 1 cb ft resin and 1 cb ft carbon.
See pictures SIDY help me upload with this url https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/kinetico-quad-51-media-replacement-4-tanks.92033/

Your system might need the same but not sure. If you get yours tank measurements, I can check against mine.
In my opinion, I wouldn't paid 4K for a new system. I would buy a used system for about $500 (Mach 2060) and rebuild with a cost around $300 - $500.

Just you know, rebuild Quad system required more steps then those Mach 2060. Good luck.

Rick M

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Kevin. I looked at the link you gave and have been comparing my tank sizes to the other 4040 systems and my bottom tanks appear to be taller. I am beginning to think the bottom tanks might be a 60, so maybe I have a 4060, even though the serial number on the label says 4040. I will not at the new house until next week so I can't measure them. Likely it's not a game changer, it'll just take more media.

I have been searching online for more information about the "neutralizer" that he says was in the bottom tank but all I can find online is that carbon should be in the bottom tanks. From what I've been reading, a neutralizer is Calcium Carbonate, but can I put that in the bottom tanks instead of carbon?

Kevin Trinh

Reaction score
I measure my tanks, they are around 8x15 inches.
I don't know why you would need Calcium Carbonate cause water softener would remove it anyway.
Let's disassemble your system and see what in there. I would bet it's just activated carbon.
I have bought this and used in my system. Here is the linked https://www.uswatersystems.com/us-water-carb-sorb-granular-activated-carbon.html

Anything similar to this would work fine.

Rick M

Reaction score
I has time to pull my system apart. I'm 99% sure mine is a 4060, the upper tank is about 15" and lower tank is about 22", so roughly 50% larger

The lower tank had resin in it, it was redish colored so I assume that means high iron? See picture.

The upper tank had Calcium Carbonate and gravel mixed. Our water tests low ph, about 6.0 so that's why the Calcium Carbonate but I thought I read somewhere that the 4040 and 4060 quad units do not use gravel because they are a up-flow design. Can anyone confirm that?

Another question. Shouldn't the Calcium Carbonate be in the larger bottom tank since it will dissolve and not last as long as resin? Also, from what I've read the Calcium Carbonate will increase the hardness so that should be first, then run the water thru the resin to soften it. I thought I read somewhere that the water flows through the bottom tank first, then the top tank.

Can anyone confirm which tank is first in water flow, top or bottom?
20210513_234313.jpg

I'm wondering if I should just get a large filter tank with a refill port to make it easier to refill the Calcium Carbonate. Taking this quad apart to refill it would be a pain to do. I'm not sure how often I'd need to do it, but if more than once every couple of years I think a tank refill port would be justified.

This well water maintenance is new to me. I'll be grateful for any help.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Honestly, I would get a real water test before you did anything else. The unit you have is a proprietary design and you may find it difficult to find parts and support.
Use this link, check out the well standard.
NTLWATERTEST

Since you are not on city water, you have the responsibility to ensure your water is safe to bathe in and consume. Imagine going to any random place, digging a hole in the ground, finding water and then drinking it without testing it... not a good idea.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks