Just FYI Rheem Power Vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I just had to replace a Flammable Vapor Sensor on a newer Rheem Power Vent.

The sensor sits on the outside front just below the burner and is attached to the sheet metal.

It is about the size of a thimble and is $157.00... :eek:

Lucky for the home owner it was under warranty.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
what was your labor charge???

that is fairley expensive......

how much did you stick them for on the labor?????

CASS....how much should I charge on this one ..........

Today, I get a call from a real estate lady that

2 years ago she insisted
she could get a power vent water heater from her brother
in Chicago much cheaper that I priced one to her..

I said ok, and we installed her STATE power vent heater... for labor only
I told her it was junk from the get go... but noooooooo...
she wasnt going to hear that.....

Now less than 2 years later.......its leaking..
and I got to run and get one and install it tomorrow......

for how much????...... what is it worth?????

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Tank leak means it's under warranty under the 6 year rule; doesn't matter where you bought it. Go to any plumbing supply house with the serial # tag and they'll gladly swap you out with a new one @ no charge IF they sell State.

Sounds like a defective tank, will save your customer a minimum $600 on the tank, just charge for your labor to replace the tank.

Construct30

Reaction score
Everything has doubled in price in the last two years, charge more than you did the first time and blame it on the fuel prices. I wonder how happy they will be to pay labor to put the same brand back in. I've had people that figure it was better to cut their losses and upgrade in a case like that.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Mark, if as a consumer, I purchased a water heater and paid you to install it and two years later, the heater went bad any savings from getting a deal on the heater would be gone because I lost the gamble. I would have to pay you again, and maybe more than the last time because everything has gone up.

Construct30

Reaction score
That's why when people make the mistake once they decide to just buy a better brand the second time rather than getting the cheap one replaced under warranty. If the cheap replacement goes bad in two years again they will be out even more labor money. I think thats how these makers of junk stay in business even with a warranty, most people wise up and realize a "free" replacement is not such a good deal.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Mark, I would charge the same price as the last time and tell them that if it happens again that it will be the same rate then.

Remind them that when they purchase something and have it installed and it goes bad they lose, even if it goes bad the day after instlation.

Even I charge again after 1 year on a tank I supply. The labor on a heater does not go the 6 years like the tank.

Construct30

Reaction score
I generally do water heaters, toilets and faucets flat rate, if someone buys it themselves, I charge the flate rate again if it goes bad on them, if I bought it then it is usually free for a year then I still go a better than usual deal for at least two years. If your flate rate has gone up in the past two years, then you should charge whatever your going rate is now, I would assume your price has gone up in the past couple of years.

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
2 year warranty on my heaters

I usually give a 2 year labor warraty on my heaters and I
have considered bumping it up to 3........

that extra labor warranty certainly makes the water heaters move out the door much quicker...

with a 2 year warranty, their is very littel downside to it with the Rheem and Bradford heaters...

I would never, ever ...give more than one year on a Smith or State heater....

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I never purchase the water heater to be installed but I give a lifetime warranty on workmanship. If it was ever proven that I installed it incorrectly, they get their money back.

When any customer buys a water heater, whether it was purchased at a big box store or plumbing supply house, when they call stating it's not working, I give them the factory rep's number to come out and work on it.

When they want me to come out, I tell them I'm charging for my time which can void the warranty of that tank knowing it's covered by warranty by the trained reps. I didn't make the water heater, I installed it. I tell them that if the factory rep finds that I've incorrectly installed your water heater and caused the current problem you're having, I'll cover the expense of the rep coming to fix your water heater.

It's that simple.

Which one of you is offering to give the customer an additional $600+ to buy a new water heater when a new one is promised as part of the implied warranty.

That's a smoking deal to get by with just a labor charge...

First chance my #2 pencil breaks I'm automatically buying a pen.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
So you don't work on water heaters...even a thermocouple or heating element? Or are you talking about items under warranty.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

A replacement heater installation is the same price as a new one, less the cost of the heater after any adminsitrative costs of the warranty are deducted. Here State has left the state so any warrantees still left are a hassle because you have to deal with State directly.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

A replacement heater is the same price as a new one, less the cost of the heater after any adminsitrative costs of the warranty are deducted. Here State has left the state so any warrantees still left are a hassle because you have to deal with State directly.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
So you don't work on water heaters...even a thermocouple or heating element? Or are you talking about items under warranty.

I never touch them under warranty, I don't mess with power vents because I don't want to stock 100's of dollars of parts for all 3 mfg's of the heaters being used.

I'm now not installing/replacing water heaters because I just need to write it off as a piece of history, just like digging ditches in my earlier years.

Has to do with the risk of physical injury, the constant dull-drum of being price-shopped to death, the time span from pickup of heater to pulling away that crowds my schedule......1/2 a day is the worst case scenario, 2 hours if a perfect situation from supply house to collecting payment.

All of these new heaters are larger, bigger because of the FVIR application and/or R value requirement. Give a price over the phone and you get there,

dryer
ventilated shelving
condensate drain all of which have to be removed and reinstalled just to get the heater in.

I find the task very demeaning.....I don't think I've ever mentioned that before. It has a lot to do with being a hired monkey for sears/home depot/american home shield installing nothing but water heaters for a year straight, 3 to 5 a day. Physically impossible for me to do in my present day and time. Those were long days and the people had no respect for the installer.

They consider the talent of the replacement a simple one, and to a degree it really is. I felt like one of those Aaron's Rental places where you pick up furniture and replace it.

Homie say no mo!

Cookie

Reaction score
I can understand you worrying about getting injured, but you can actually lessen the toll it takes on your body very easily, it just takes working at it. I am 53, not that young anymore but, I found 10 years ago, when the big C started to make me weak I needed to make my body stronger. So, I started to excercise more. Through so many health problems, which include the Big C and actually, heart problems due to the chemos, (3 heart attacks) I have managed to pull it all together and now, thankfully, I am pretty strong. I am not gloating here, just trying to set an example it can be done. You can turn it around, especially at your age. Buy an excercise bike & treadmill and put it in your garage. It really works. Then you will be able to whip those suckers up & over your head without a worry. I had a father who was the strongest man I ever knew. At age 61 he could lift a sofa up and over his head, by himself. His brother walked at least 10 miles a day. It is fun to change your lifestyle around andI like to challenge myself. I am going to run one year in the Boston Marathon and Heartbreak Hill is a big challenge ask any New Englander. Just do it Rugged for 6 months, see what happens. You have nothing to lose.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
So Rugged, What you're saying is you don't need the hernia, or, the blown out back! If it's bigger than a 60 and not a walkout basement I'm including a second guy! I'll include a second even on a smaller one if access is difficult!

You don't make money lying on your back! If the job is going to put you on your back being underbid is a good thing. If they are that cheap they don't have as much to lose!:cool:

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Oh, so true Redwood, especially the gas ones, those are HEAVY. The electrics aren't so bad though. But, I don't lug them around either, lol.

I reckon, those gas ones would be a 2 man job. Don't you guys use dollies? It is less on the knees and back.

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
Rugged gas heaters are clean and easy

the State power vent was not available in town
so I had to install a Bradford white and get a credit
from state to compensate me for the white heater.....

all in all about $400...for labor

another Bradford white today 40 gal $975

another brad 50 today $700....

service call for $250.....

we did not leave our office till 9.30am
got home at 5......and one guy called in sick too....

Rugged .....water heaters can really add up very quickly.
but I think you were traumatized at an early age..

I agree with you about the hardware stores
I will never do them for any hardware store..no way....
that is like being chinese slave labor.

I dont like to do the 75 gallons anymore
I always like to throw the 75 gallon heaters located
down in a finished walk up stairs basement to
LOWES or HD....

those guys have to install them for about $170......

I figure this will kill my competition eventually......

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
But..........

It's the most priced shopped fixture in plumbing.......at least it is in my office.

Standing for long periods of time on concrete increases my med intake as well......can wear out my liver.

It just feels so good to say no. No more worrying about hitting walls or dripping tanks on the carpet.

What cracks me up is when I say no and they act shocked. Then try to hustle a price out of me. The phone accidentally hangs up at that point.

WhooopS!:eek:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks