Jet pump installation - vertical or horizontal?

Users who are viewing this thread

sky view

Reaction score
Hello and thank you for this resource. Total diy'r here with lots of questions. We bought an owner built and plumbed home and we're trying to correct some of the problems without having to re-do it multiple times.

- Small solar electric system
- I bath
- Indoor 180' deep well, 6" steel cased.
- Shurflo 2088 514 145 jet pump, vertically mounted to the wall. Totally lives up to the title! When you turn on a faucet it sounds like a 747 is taking off in the house - not lol.
- Pitcher hand pump at kitchen sink (want to replace with Bison 1900 hand pump)
- No current pressure tank (planning to add a CSV)
- In line sediment filter (planning to add full house filtration due to manganese)
- Pex
- Marey 16L on demand hot water

1) If the jet pump were mounted vertically over the well would it perform better and be quieter? I've looked at submersible pumps and think an Aquatec SWP 4000 could work but the jet is easier to get to for maintenance and money is always a factor. It's currently having trouble staying primed. It cycles (thus going to add the CSV) and has trouble providing consistent water pressure to the shower.

2) Can we run pex directly to the jet pump? The braided tubing was original and since it (sorta) worked we've just repaired it with the same thing. I wonder if it's part of the priming problem.

3) The water heater doesn't maintain the water temperature during a shower, the water gets hotter. The cold water supplies the tub before the water heater and I think that's the problem. If we replumb the cold water into the heater first and then drop a cold line for the tub after the heater will this fix that problem? Or will the CSV correct all this without re plumbing?

Thank you. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Those are not jet pumps. Both numbers you mentioned are little positive displacement pumps like used for an RV. Yes, they will be loud when running. No, they won't pump much water and the pressure bounces, which will keep an instant water heater from staying on as it should. But those type pumps work well off a battery, like on an RV. Your small solar system may not be large enough to run a larger jet pump. 1/2HP is about the smallest jet pump you can get, and would require a fairly large solar system with an inverter large enough to run the pump.

You can't use a CSV with a PD type pump either.

Adding a small pressure tank may help smooth out some of the pressure variations, and an insulated but vented box over the pump can cut down on the noise.

The Bison pump would need to go straight down the well past the water level. But it must be very shallow to water if those RV pumps are lifting it.

sky view

Reaction score
Thanks Valveman. Our solar system is 12 volt with a 1000 watt inverter right now but we are about to go 24 volt with a 2000 watt inverter.

And yes, it's only about 4' to the well cap, not sure how far to the static water level since we haven't measured it but we estimate less that 25'.

So insulate the box with some foil faced fiberglass or foil bubble wrap (or no foil - I know I'm not trying block the heat, just the noise)? And then just drill some 1" holes? How many? I don't want to cause a fire.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks