Jacuzzi Lanyard toilet install issue

Users who are viewing this thread

corvairbob

Reaction score
i have a 30 year old toilet and it started to need plunging about every day now. i put acid in it and cleaned the lets under the rim, i'm thinking there may be some rough areas at the top of the trap in the back where i just can't get to and the paper is getting stuck on that and drying out and then the next flush causes a backup.

i ran a camera down the trap and took the toilet off and ran the camera up the drain. nothing is or was in it but this was after i had to plung it and get the water out. so it may have cleared out by that time.

anyway i'm not asking about this just a background.

so i measured from the bolts holding the old toilet back to the wall yes the wall, and i get 11 1/4" and the tank is tight against the wall, so i figured i should get a 10" rough in so the tank will be just a bit off the wall. so i get a jacuzzi lanyard brand in 10" rough in and the back to the bowl was just about right up against the wall so i measured the distance from the tank mounting holes and i got 2 3/4" to the wall and then i measured the tanks from the center of the mounting screws to the back of the tanks and i got 3". so i mounted the tanks and it would not set down square on the bowl. so i'm thinking this was a 12" rough in that got into a box labled 10" rough in.

but just to be sure it seems to me if i have a 12" rough in and get a 10" rough in i would have an extra 2" clearance to the wall. so am i thinking this correctly or not? and do toilet actually have that much slop in there rough in numbers? thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
so i measured from the bolts holding the old toilet back to the wall yes the wall, and i get 11 1/4" and the tank is tight against the wall
Most "12 inch rough" toilets would also be tight or close to the wall. So going to a 10 inch rough toilet is unnecessary. If you pulled the toilet, you could get a more precise reading of the situation. There is some margin/slop available to you when you drop a toilet to let you move the toilet fore and aft.

If you get a 10 inch rough toilet, it will stick out into the room more.

corvairbob

Reaction score
that is what i want as the 12" is hitting the wall and the tank is leaning in to the room and i have a time sealing it from leaking.

i just went the get a jacuzzi toilet that the bos said was a 10 in rough in and the tank sat so far into the room i could not even fit the screws on it. so before i get another so called 10 in rough in i have to ask to make sure i'm thinking this is correct. to me if it was 10 in and i set it to 12 in then it would set more into the room. but that jacuzzi did not do that. in fact the bowl just has room to set on the floor flange. i had like 1/4" from the back of that toilet to the wall. i do not want to get another 10" rough in and find it is doing the same thing. so i had to ask.

thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks