I've done all this, and STILL have water standing in tank(!)...suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

CrazyArt

Reaction score
Water Softener: GE GXSF30V

GIVEN: -Water in brine tank, 4" above level of salt. Salt level appeared to be at Level 6.
-Water seems to have lessened it's "softness".
-I've been using salt pellets that have the iron remover included.
-Silverware has rust spots, glasses have cloudy film that eventually appears after multiple dishwasher cycles.
-Added "Iron-Out" to brinewell, regenerated.
-After several attempts at regeneration, water level remained at this level.
-Replaced Nozzle/Vent gasket..no improvement.
-Suspecting salt bridge, I completely emptied both brine tank and brinewell, flushed to ensure travel between both. There was sludge at bottom.
-Refilled with salt only up to Level 2, regenerated. Water level is approx. 2" above salt level.
-Regenerated, after a few weeks, rust still appearing on silverware, etc. Water still above salt level.
softener.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know your softener, but typically a cabinet softener's brine tank only gets filled with water as the regeneration process starts.
"-After several attempts at regeneration, water level remained at this level." That would be normal to have the water level to be very low between regens. To see the actual level of water that should turn to brine, trigger an immediate regen, and look at the water level maybe 30 minutes later. For seeing this rise in level, you could regen without adding salt. But know that with plenty of salt, the liquid rises a lot higher when there is salt, for a given amount of fill of water.

For normal operation, the salt fill should be enough to have salt above the water line at all times, including when brine is filled. So lack of salt, as in your photo, would explain bad softening. That does not mean that is the only problem.

People on this forum are not used to troubleshooting and fixing cabinet type softeners. It could be worth calling the customer service at the company to see if they can offer troubleshooting help.

But first I would see if having enough salt cures the problem.

"GIVEN: -Water in brine tank, 4" above level of salt. Salt level appeared to be at Level 6."
That sentence seems to be a contradiction.

CrazyArt

Reaction score
I don't know your softener, but typically a cabinet softener's brine tank only gets filled with water as the regeneration process starts.
"-After several attempts at regeneration, water level remained at this level." That would be normal to have the water level to be very low between regens. To see the actual level of water that should turn to brine, trigger an immediate regen, and look at the water level maybe 30 minutes later. For seeing this rise in level, you could regen without adding salt. But know that with plenty of salt, the liquid rises a lot higher when there is salt, for a given amount of fill of water.

For normal operation, the salt fill should be enough to have salt above the water line at all times, including when brine is filled. So lack of salt, as in your photo, would explain bad softening. That does not mean that is the only problem.

People on this forum are not used to troubleshooting and fixing cabinet type softeners. It could be worth calling the customer service at the company to see if they can offer troubleshooting help.

But first I would see if having enough salt cures the problem.

"GIVEN: -Water in brine tank, 4" above level of salt. Salt level appeared to be at Level 6."
That sentence seems to be a contradiction.
Thanks so much for trying to help me! I just wanted to clarify: Before I took any action, the salt was at Level 6, with 4 inches of water above the salt. I've read that too much salt may cause a salt bridge/sludge at bottom. So, I emptied the entire tank and started over with the salt only up to Level 2(as in the photo). I still had 2 inches of water above the salt. So, I then added another bag of salt, bringing the level up to Level 3. I still have 2 inches of water above the salt. I also removed the drain line, and ensured it was clear... I'll do more research today; thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks