Is water leaking behind Shower?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by zzuhaib, Jul 25, 2020.

1. zzuhaib

zzuhaib New Member

Hello All I am attaching two pics, please let me know what is happening here? I had a Custom shower made last year, but the bottoam part of the wall beside the Shower is bubbling and making mold, is it just moisture causing this or is there a actual leak?

Attached Files:

2. fitter30

fitter30 Well-Known Member

Retired service tech
    What are wall made out of and is that molding around the base?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. zzuhaib

zzuhaib New Member

Its regular dry wall I think, and yes its around the base, what does that mean?

5. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    The stains are definitely from water and being on both side sure looks like it is bad workmanship. The the brown color stain is when water is being absorbed by the wood behind the paint. After the shower use, is there any water on the floor? Are you sure no water is seeping past the shower door frame?

6. zzuhaib

zzuhaib New Member

Yes I checked there is no water on floor after shower, my tenant who has some knowledge of plumbing said that the shower water drains very slowly in the shower, that means the way it was built was wrong, Could he be right? is that what is causing this? I hope there is no pipe leak

7. Storm rider

Storm rider Slave to rentals

Property Manager
    I would cut out the damaged drywall, which you are going to have to repair anyway, and that will give you a better view of what is happening in the wall and under the pan.

8. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    FWIW, a properly build shower pan should not leak even if it was filled to near the top of the curb (the liner is below the tile and some substrate compatible with the tile, so leave maybe 1" or so to the top of the finished curb). Code says no holes in the liner within 2" above the top of the curb, so if that is done right, assuming you plug the drain well, it should fill up and not leak. A slow drain just implies there may be a partial clog, or the slope of the drain or the venting is not done right. Actually, without a vent, it could flow way too well, and not break the suction, and siphon itself.

9. fitter30

fitter30 Well-Known Member

Retired service tech
    Drain pipe should be 2" and not hold water. A water saver shower head might help if it has a standard head.