Is this a shallow well??? Adding in a CSV??

Users who are viewing this thread

rnparamedic69

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Just wondering what type well this might be?? I’m thinking a shallow well but don’t know much about well setup. I have no documentation on depth, type of pipe, etc. I would think pvc just by the looks of things. Well dug around 1985.
Appears to be a 4 inch cap reduced down to 2 inches into pump. Not sure why that block is cemented there but holds my heat lamp well.
Also, if I added a CSV, should I be concerned about what kind of pipe is down in the well due to the increased back pressure from the CSV?
Thanks

Attachments

• FD502061-92CC-45AC-8577-0D209D7630FE.jpeg
    FD502061-92CC-45AC-8577-0D209D7630FE.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 243
  • 50E859E3-262D-40B1-A9F8-2B156B12C60D.jpeg
    50E859E3-262D-40B1-A9F8-2B156B12C60D.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 247
  • DD5868B5-CABD-406E-8E05-5B2A155A5BED.jpeg
    DD5868B5-CABD-406E-8E05-5B2A155A5BED.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 241
  • A5EC8C23-9075-46DB-B960-93C96876A811.jpeg
    A5EC8C23-9075-46DB-B960-93C96876A811.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 243

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That is a deep well jet with a casing adapter for 2" casing. I don't know what the 4" is for. Maybe TexasWellman can help with that? A CSV does not cause back pressure on the suction pipe of a jet pump. The only place you will see back pressure is between the CSV/backpressure valve and the pump. There is only a couple of inches of pipe after the pump that will see back pressure from a CSV. Placing the CSV after the backpressure valve works very well. Those kind of pumps can usually only make about 100 PSI of backpressure anyway, so no problem.

rnparamedic69

Reaction score
That is a deep well jet with a casing adapter for 2" casing. I don't know what the 4" is for. Maybe TexasWellman can help with that? A CSV does not cause back pressure on the suction pipe of a jet pump. The only place you will see back pressure is between the CSV/backpressure valve and the pump. There is only a couple of inches of pipe after the pump that will see back pressure from a CSV. Placing the CSV after the backpressure valve works very well. Those kind of pumps can usually only make about 100 PSI of backpressure anyway, so no problem.
Thanks for the info valveman. I like the idea of the csv1a. Currently my tank is plumbed with a reinforced vinyl 1 inch tubing. Would that be ok with the CSV or should I plumb it with pvc?? I will continue to use the 22 gallon tank I have.
Back pressure valve??? Is that part of the CSV or an additional valve to add in??
What would you set csv1a constant pressure at so as to fill the tank in say 2 min or so?? Current pressure switch is a 30/50 set to 35/65.
Thx

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You already have a backpressure valve, as those pumps won't work without it. It is the first thing out of the pump that the rubber hose is attached too. I think it has a gauge on top if I see correctly. You would just use a short 1" nipple between the backpressure valve and the CSV1A, then re-attach the hose to the tank and house.

Reach4

Reaction score
You would need to add a new 0-100 pressure switch after the CSV. You could tee off of the nipple going to the pressure switch.

The existing pressure gauge might have to be increased to a 0-200 psi gauge, or you could plug that hole. I would like the gauge, but it could confuse somebody potentially.

I wonder if that 4 inch to 2 inch reducer is being used for a little mechanical assist, or maybe it is being used as a dress escutcheon. Is it glued in place, or does it move readily?

rnparamedic69

Reaction score
You would need to add a new 0-100 pressure switch after the CSV. You could tee off of the nipple going to the pressure switch.

The existing pressure gauge might have to be increased to a 0-200 psi gauge, or you could plug that hole. I would like the gauge, but it could confuse somebody potentially.

I wonder if that 4 inch to 2 inch reducer is being used for a little mechanical assist, or maybe it is being used as a dress escutcheon. Is it glued in place, or does it move readily?
I’ll have to check the 4 inch reducer. Can I just remove pressure switch from pump and plug that hole and place pressure switch near tank on a tank tee?? Same for pressure gauge??
Thanks for all the other info

Last edited:

rnparamedic69

Reaction score
You already have a backpressure valve, as those pumps won't work without it. It is the first thing out of the pump that the rubber hose is attached too. I think it has a gauge on top if I see correctly. You would just use a short 1" nipple between the backpressure valve and the CSV1A, then re-attach the hose to the tank and house.
Thanks valveman

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yes the pressure switch will need to be moved to sense pressure after the CSV. The CSV1A actually has extra ports where you could put the pressure switch/ pressure gauge if you want. But the closer the switch is to the pressure tank the better.

Reach4

Reaction score
I’ll have to check the reducer this afternoon.
Would it be better to remove pressure switch from pump and place near tank on a tank tee?? Same for pressure gauge?? Just curious if that would make a difference.
Thanks for all the other info
Yes, and yes. Mandatory that the pressure switch is after the CSV, actually.

I would prefer two gauges, but that is not the normal way to do it. You need a gauge after the CSV.

You could consider a tank tee, although that is not at all necessary.

rnparamedic69

Reaction score
Yes, and yes. Mandatory that the pressure switch is after the CSV, actually.

I would prefer two gauges, but that is not the normal way to do it. You need a gauge after the CSV.

You could consider a tank tee, although that is not at all necessary.
All makes sense. Hadn’t thought about the pressure switch location.
I could still use the 35/65 setting on current pressure switch once moved to pressure tank side of CSV correct??

Reach4

Reaction score
I could still use the 35/65 setting on current pressure switch once moved to pressure tank side of CSV correct??
45/65 would be better. No good reason to exceed the common 20 psi differential. In fact, you could reduce the differential a bit.

With 45 cut-on, set your air precharge to 41 or 40. That lets the jet have enough time get pumping.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah but when I see a wide band like 35/65 I know someone was trying to limit the cycling. After adding the CSV you won't want to see such a large variation in pressure before the pump comes on. Really need to lessen the bandwidth to like 50/65 instead, so you won't see the pressure drop to 35 before the pump starts. But it will work fine except for that.

rnparamedic69

Reaction score
Yeah but when I see a wide band like 35/65 I know someone was trying to limit the cycling. After adding the CSV you won't want to see such a large variation in pressure before the pump comes on. Really need to lessen the bandwidth to like 50/65 instead, so you won't see the pressure drop to 35 before the pump starts. But it will work fine except for that.
Thanks guys. Great help and insight

rnparamedic69

Reaction score

The reducer doesn’t move “freely” nor did I really try to torque on it. Not sure if it would be threaded but I don’t see any running or coloring from cement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks