Is there an easy way to fix this tub spout leak?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pman6

Reaction score
Several years ago, a plumber changed the spout connection from slip on to screw on.

He added a coupler and male connector.

Now the coupling joint has failed and it sprays water behind the tub.

Is there any over the counter part that can be used to fix this connection?

I was thinking maybe there's a ready-made male threaded connection with a long straight copper pipe, cut to fit, and I could screw it into the wall, and go back to slip-on spout.

Do they even make such a connector?

spout.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
You could get it going again, but it is not worth saving. Get a new spout and a brass nipple of the right length to make that work. Typically those are "1/2 inch" nipples. Those typically dribble a lot.

Consider Delta Faucet RP17454 Tub Spout Pull-Down Diverter, Chrome (RP17453 is same but plastic) RP5836 similar but adapter has set screw. These dribble much less than most.

Pman6

Reaction score
yeah, I just called a plumber, and he said the same thing.

Just get a brass nipple.

wow, just saved me $120.
I'll try that.

I already bought a new spout.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The issue with most screw-on spouts is the actual length of the nipple required to make it all work so when the joint is tight, the spout is pointed down and tight to the wall. Your installation may not correspond to one of the 1/2" incremental sizes available...i.e., one may be too short, and the next size up is too long. Delta has an adapter for some of theirs that uses a screw on fitting, but the actual seal to the spout is via an o-ring. The threads allow you a fair amount of flexibility in the positioning. Of those I've seen, other than a push-on one, theirs is the most flexible, and is the most secure verses a push on version.

Pman6

Reaction score
exact length was my main concern.
I was hoping there were a way to cut the brass pipe and thread it like you do with black iron.

Reach4

Reaction score
exact length was my main concern.
I was hoping there were a way to cut the brass pipe and thread it like you do with black iron.
You absolutely can do this. Usually you would start with a nipple that is a little long. If only shortening the nipple a little, I have threaded the die on more. Then cut excess pipe sticking out the end. Then remove the die to clean up the threads.

Pman6

Reaction score
got lucky. 6" nipple was a perfect fit.

and even if were too short, I was prepared to file down the spout to make it fit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks