Is plumbers putty crap?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by mar3232, Jun 20, 2020.

1. mar3232

mar3232 Member

I installed a garbage disposal 2 years ago and all has been fine but now it's leaking and can see the sink piece (insinkerator disposal) turning a bit when I start the disposal. It's a compact, high torque? model -- pretty powerful it seems to me. I only used putty because that's what the instructions called for -- everything was tightened properly. Is putty "has been" stuff? Should I have went with something more 21st century? Some silicone? or? -- THANKS

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    Putty has been working fine for me.
    With a Stainless sink I use very little as too much means it may take a lot to compress far enough down. I double check my screw tightening before I do the finale install of the disposer. When I do finally install the disposer, I make sure the spin collar rotates over to the notch that holds it locked.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. mar3232

mar3232 Member

Thanks much.