Is my waste drain too high?

Users who are viewing this thread

Alexandria Farmer

Reaction score
Hi this sink is only 1 1/2 inches deeper than my old sink, but thought I would ask what you thought before permanently finishing

Is my waste drain pipe too high that it would lead to issues?

I’m in Illinois so have to have garbage disposal and dishwasher separate

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 223

Reach4

Reaction score
Is my waste drain pipe too high that it would lead to issues?
Sure looks like it from the picture. The center of the hole in the wall must be lower than the center of the dishwasher exit.

You mentioned the dishwasher why? If you are in Dupage, say so.

Sounds to me as if you will need a different sink, or you will need somebody to open that wall. Is that sink under a window by chance?

index.php

Last edited:

Alexandria Farmer

Reaction score
Sure looks like it from the picture. The center of the hole in the wall must be lower than the center of the dishwasher exit.

Sounds to me as if you will need a different sink, or you will need somebody to open that wall. Is that sink under a window by chance?

index.php

index.php

Alexandria Farmer

Reaction score
Here’s the window above sink

so since window it would probably run horizontal right? I was reading other threads and it was mentioned this is a problem

index.php
My old garbage disposal was a waste king and have a higher drain pipe. If got another waste king and it is just barely over would it work?

or if there’s another garbage disposal that has a short drain opening you recommend?

index.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 217

Reach4

Reaction score
If I didn’t do a garbage disposal it would work?
Yes.

I would encourage that you plan glue in a trap adapter close to the wall at the angle you need. That is so that you can use slip joint trap stuff. Plan things out before you glue anything.

because yes it is under a window
That probably means that more wall would have to be opened if you used the disposal.

However the bit about a separate trap for a dishwasher -- I don't know how you will handle that. You might have to replicate what you cut out already.

or if there’s another garbage disposal that has a short drain opening you recommend?

I think the shortest disposals still need a little more than 6 inches from the bottom of the sink to the middle of the drain thru the wall. I think the Insinkerator Badger and Space Saver models do that. I base my comment on the table on page 3 of https://www.insinkerator.ca/sites/insinkerator.ca/files/downloads/products/Evolution_ICU_Web.pdf I don't think that the Waste King models need less.

Alexandria Farmer

Reaction score
Yes.

I would encourage that you plan glue in a trap adapter close to the wall at the angle you need. That is so that you can use slip joint trap stuff. Plan things out before you glue anything.

That probably means that more wall would have to be opened if you used the disposal.

However the bit about a separate trap for a dishwasher -- I don't know how you will handle that. You might have to replicate what you cut out already.

I think the shortest disposals still need a little more than 6 inches from the bottom of the sink to the middle of the drain thru the wall. I think the Insinkerator Badger and Space Saver models do that. I base my comment on the table on page 3 of https://www.insinkerator.ca/sites/insinkerator.ca/files/downloads/products/Evolution_ICU_Web.pdf I don't think that the Waste King models need less.

So only option to keep the sink is no disposal or move the drain.

is it possible to move the drain with it being under a window?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hopefully nothing in your first picture is glued up. If you remove the elbow at the wall, and you look into the wall drain inlet with a flashlight, do you see a vertical pipe or a horizontal pipe? If vertical, does it stay vertical for several inches directly below the hole, or does it immediately turn left or right? You check it by using a probe, like a 6" piece of copper wire (don't drop it in the drain).

If it's vertical, and it stays vertical for several inches below the current inlet, then there is a good chance you could lower the drain inlet by cutting open a 16" x16" square of drywall and redoing just a little bit of the drains. But if it's horizontal or turns horizontal too soon, it would be much more invasive to lower the drain inlet at the wall.

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
So only option to keep the sink is no disposal or move the drain.

Under a window, the probable layout behind the wall is something like this:
32708-d898662c1b9240c3fdfff427b09f88ab.jpg

In your case, the sanitary tee and the horizontal line are too high. So they would get repostitioned to be lower than they are.

We don't know if the pipe goes left or right.

If you have a basement or accessible crawl space, there could be another option to bring the drain down through the bottom of the sink cabinet. You would still need to provide a vent (not an AAV), so that might not help at all.

Alexandria Farmer

Reaction score
Hopefully nothing in your first picture is glued up. If you remove the elbow at the wall, and you look into the wall drain inlet with a flashlight, do you see a vertical pipe or a horizontal pipe? If vertical, does it stay vertical for several inches directly below the hole, or does it immediately turn left or right? You check it by using a probe, like a 6" piece of copper wire (don't drop it in the drain).

If it's vertical, and it stays vertical for several inches below the current inlet, then there is a good chance you could lower the drain inlet by cutting open a 16" x16" square of drywall and redoing just a little bit of the drains. But if it's horizontal or turns horizontal too soon, it would be much more invasive to lower the drain inlet at the wall.

Cheers, Wayne

Haven’t glued anything! But thank you! Going to look into this. I know we plan to replace the cabinets in next few years so might end up waiting on disposal until then to lower piping.

Reach4

Reaction score
Haven’t glued anything! But thank you! Going to look into this. I know we plan to replace the cabinets in next few years so might end up waiting on disposal until then to lower piping.
Not having a disposal is not bad. I would not want a disposal with a septic tank. Put the stuff into the trash container, and it is better for everybody.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
being under a window dosent mean anything . the pic reach 4 showed is one way of doing it but dosent rule out the pussibility that its verticle and an easy fix. Waynes idea is the perfect way to findout

Reach4

Reaction score
being under a window dosent mean anything . the pic reach 4 showed is one way of doing it but dosent rule out the pussibility that its verticle and an easy fix. Waynes idea is the perfect way to findout
If the window is high enough, the vent could run under the window, and still be 6 inches above the flood level. Often the window is low enough to not allow the horizontal vent.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the window is high enough, the vent could run under the window, and still be 6 inches above the flood level. Often the window is low enough to not allow the horizontal vent.[/QU
yes often its already plumbed with vent under window with drainage fittings and 1/4inch per foot fall , seen it plumbed this way many times, sometimes issue with inspection, if its existing and your not removing the piping just lowering a santee , I wouldnt worry about changing it.

Reach4

Reaction score
While making the change, you could consider getting two santees side by side -- one for the sink, and one for the dishwasher standpipe.

Or would that potentially open a can of worms regarding vent height grandfathering.

Alexandria Farmer

Reaction score
While making the change, you could consider getting two santees side by side -- one for the sink, and one for the dishwasher standpipe.

Or would that potentially open a can of worms regarding vent height grandfathering.

I was just going to rebuild how they had it set up. I know Illinois code said can have dishwasher hooked up to garbage disposal so this is what the old one had a double wye one for garbage and one for dishwasher drain. I’ll keep it that way to go by code if ever decide to sell.
Pic might be hard to see but left garbage disposal, right was dishwasher both will their own p traps and then middle was clean trap

Attachments

• 4D6745AD-3DD6-45CA-BF01-DAF6AC0C8EE8.jpeg
    4D6745AD-3DD6-45CA-BF01-DAF6AC0C8EE8.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 211
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks