Is it normal for the pressure of the discharge pipe to drop to zero?

Users who are viewing this thread

FLSteve

Reaction score
I’m in the process of figuring out why my pump struggles to supply water to a zone. As part of troubleshooting I’ve put a pressure gauge on the discharge line between the pump and valves. When one of the working zones are active, the pressure sits at around 35psi. When I shut off the pump and valve (via the controller), the pressure always drops to zero. Is this normal?

I’m on well water and my setup looks like this:
Well —> check valve —> sediment filter —> sta-rite pump —> six hunter PGV valves

Reach4

Reaction score
When I shut off the pump and valve (via the controller), the pressure always drops to zero. Is this normal?
That part sounds normal to me.

You normally don't want to suck water through a cartridge filter, however.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
I’m in the process of figuring out why my pump struggles to supply water to a zone. As part of troubleshooting I’ve put a pressure gauge on the discharge line between the pump and valves. When one of the working zones are active, the pressure sits at around 35psi. When I shut off the pump and valve (via the controller), the pressure always drops to zero. Is this normal?

I’m on well water and my setup looks like this:
Well —> check valve —> sediment filter —> sta-rite pump —> six hunter PGV valves

Yes, pressure will always be zero when the pump is off. To maintain pressure you need a pressure tank and an irrigation pump does not use a pressure switch nor does it need a pressure tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks