Is it against code to place a nat. gas forced air furnace in a plastic pool?

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
As assurance if the sump pump fails, we are considering placing a forced air furnace in a plastic pool or stock tank to protect it from potential water table rise.
Is there a code that doesn't allow this?
Thank you in advance for any replies

Stuff

Reaction score
No electrical code other than being poor workmanship. Better to put it on a stand. In the old days bricks, blocks and poured concrete pads.

Molo

Reaction score
No electrical code other than being poor workmanship. Better to put it on a stand. In the old days bricks, blocks and poured concrete pads.

It is on concrete blocks, but it is still not high enough. It can't go any higher because of the vent pipe height limitations. I know this isn't an electrical question, but I thought it may apply if it were an electric hot water tank.

Stuff

Reaction score
Furnaces can be mounted horizontally and hung from the ceiling (unistrut or similar) which can solve vent issues. Probably not an option but many have theirs installed in the attic.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
A battery back up sump pump is the only way to go cost wise. Get a generator for extend power outages. Using a plastic pool is a problem, how do you get it under the furnace? You'll need to remove the furnace. Two is, should the water raise high enough, the pool will act like a boat and may lift the furnace up and damage the duct work, or worse yet break the gas pipe, etc.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks