Is it against code to place a nat. gas forced air furnace in a plastic pool?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by molo, Jul 18, 2021.

1. molo

molo Member

As assurance if the sump pump fails, we are considering placing a forced air furnace in a plastic pool or stock tank to protect it from potential water table rise.
    Is there a code that doesn't allow this?
    Thank you in advance for any replies

2. Stuff

Stuff Well-Known Member

No electrical code other than being poor workmanship. Better to put it on a stand. In the old days bricks, blocks and poured concrete pads.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. molo

molo Member

It is on concrete blocks, but it is still not high enough. It can't go any higher because of the vent pipe height limitations. I know this isn't an electrical question, but I thought it may apply if it were an electric hot water tank.

5. Stuff

Stuff Well-Known Member

Furnaces can be mounted horizontally and hung from the ceiling (unistrut or similar) which can solve vent issues. Probably not an option but many have theirs installed in the attic.

6. fitter30

fitter30 Well-Known Member

Retired service tech
    Why not battery backup sump pump and a water alarm.

7. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    A battery back up sump pump is the only way to go cost wise. Get a generator for extend power outages. Using a plastic pool is a problem, how do you get it under the furnace? You'll need to remove the furnace. Two is, should the water raise high enough, the pool will act like a boat and may lift the furnace up and damage the duct work, or worse yet break the gas pipe, etc.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021 at 2:43 PM