Irrigation system to pump

Users who are viewing this thread

fide

Reaction score
Good afternoon, I am having problems with my irrigation system, I am sharing a 3 horse power pump with my neighbor I am having problems with it and he is not. My pressure goes up to 100 psi and the pressure switch doesn't switch off the pump, when the neighbors irrigation turns on the pressure switch shutdown at 50 psi and turns back on at 30 psi.We have a Franklin deluxe controller box at the river connected to a 30 amp breaker, the breaker is connected to L1 and L2 and from there wires run up hill maybe 175' and they are connected to a pressure switch with a storage tank. Those wires are connected in L2 and SW in the Franklin control box. From the pressure switch it connects to a pump relay, one wire is connected to line and the other goes to load and there's two yellow wires that are connected and run to c and MV on the controller. I don't understand what's wrong, I will appreciate all your help, and thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230904-093842~2.png
    Screenshot_20230904-093842~2.png
    180.6 KB · Views: 88

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Did this setup ever work?

Are there two pressure switches, you and your neighbor or just one pressure switch at the tank? Both homes share one pressure tank and the controller is a the river? Submersible pump? or a pipe in the river.

The wires that run to C and MV (Master Valve) go the the relay switch to turn on the motor or a open a master valve. Are there two irrigation controllers?

fide

Reaction score
Did this setup ever work?

Are there two pressure switches, you and your neighbor or just one pressure switch at the tank? Both homes share one pressure tank and the controller is a the river? Submersible pump? or a pipe in the river.

The wires that run to C and MV (Master Valve) go the the relay switch to turn on the motor or a open a master valve. Are there two irrigation controllers?
There's a single pressure switch for both sides on the tank, there's two controllers one on property other on the neighbors, however, he doesn't have a pump start relay rather connected straight to the controller only has a common connected to his controller,on my side I have a pump start relay that goes to pressure switch, then to Franklin deluxe box to turn on the pump. There's to Irrigation controllers.

fide

Reaction score
It's possible for me to bypasses the tank and just wire my pump directly to the pump start relay without interfering with the neighbors irrigation. I am just trying to find an alternative from the storage tank, I was reading online that it's possible, however, I will require me to add more heads or can I just connect to irrigation zones to a single zone slot in the controller.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Did it ever work?

Are there irrigation zones or just one big one. It seems what your neighbor had done. There are indexing valve that rotate to the next zone when the pump turns off.

What does both sides of the tank mean. One or two pressure switches.

When you turn on the pump do the sprinklers pop up with water flowing.

Rain bird controllers can handle two zone valves on one zone connection. Hunter is iffy, OrbitI not sure.

How is it setup where when your neighbor uses the pump, your sprinklers do not get water.

You say your neighbor has no control yet he turns on the pump with his controller?

One issue is how he turns on the pump. Sounds like direct wired which could be the problem. I’m Trying to draw the diagram of this set up. Any pictures?

Who set this system up?

Right now I’m thinking two tanks, two pressure switches, two check valves, one pump.

I’d this a submersible pump? Most irrigation systems do not use pressure tanks.

To get good constant pressure, a Cyclic Stop Valve. Check out the web site. It’s a Texas company. Cary is the designer and owner. He is a top administrator on this forum.

Last edited:

fide

Reaction score
Did it ever work?

Are there irrigation zones or just one big one. It seems what your neighbor had done. There are indexing valve that rotate to the next zone when the pump turns off.

What does both sides of the tank mean. One or two pressure switches.

When you turn on the pump do the sprinklers pop up with water flowing.

Rain bird controllers can handle two zone valves on one zone connection. Hunter is iffy, OrbitI not sure.

How is it setup where when your neighbor uses the pump, your sprinklers do not get water.

You say your neighbor has no control yet he turns on the pump with his controller?

One issue is how he turns on the pump. Sounds like direct wired which could be the problem. I’m Trying to draw the diagram of this set up. Any pictures?

Who set this system up?

Right now I’m thinking two tanks, two pressure switches, two check valves, one pump.

I’d this a submersible pump? Most irrigation systems do not use pressure tanks.

To get good constant pressure, a Cyclic Stop Valve. Check out the web site. It’s a Texas company. Cary is the designer and owner. He is a top administrator on this forum.
It was working around a year ago, but it's being a while since it was turn on. One single pressure switch, if I turn on my side the heads get lots of water and they mist and the pressure gauge on the side of the tank reaches to 100 which is the max. If he turns on his controller my irrigation can also run. He has no pump start relay just a smart rainbird controller. Sorry, I can get the pictures tomorrow I as I am not there right now. It was an irrigation company a while back. My neighbor just updated the control box and that's about it. It's a submergible pump at 3hp not sure what's the flow. Could you send me the site again please I don't seem to see it in your replied, thank.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score

There must two master valves to prevent irrigating both properties at the same time. Fyi, irrigation system and sprinklers can handle up to 150 psi.

fide

Reaction score

There must two master valves to prevent irrigating both properties at the same time. Fyi, irrigation system and sprinklers can handle up to 150 psi.
I am made a quick diagram of how it's connected, my irrigation doesn't turn on if he turns it on unless I turn it on, and then the irrigation starts. I also forgot to mention that one zone never reaches 100 psi it stays at 44 psi, however I have 11 heads in that zone.

Attachments

• IMG_20230906_184653868.jpg
    IMG_20230906_184653868.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 80

fide

Reaction score
I think I am going to stick with your idea of adding the cycling valve, however, I am trying to figure out if the main which is 1.5 class 200 is going to break because there's too much pressure in the lines, does a pressure reducing valve do the same as the cycling valve could I just add that instead. Thank you for all the help.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
I Cannot see how this ever worked. I’ll come up with plan that will require your neighbor to have one. How does the neighbor turn on his side after you turn on yours? The three wire pump going to the Franklin controller makes it more difficult.

You’ll need to contact CSV for the right model to use. It will take a few days maybe a week. Doctors appointments, my brother and wife is visiting from Thursday night through Monday.

fide

Reaction score
I Cannot see how this ever worked. I’ll come up with plan that will require your neighbor to have one. How does the neighbor turn on his side after you turn on yours? The three wire pump going to the Franklin controller makes it more difficult.

You’ll need to contact CSV for the right model to use. It will take a few days maybe a week. Doctors appointments, my brother and wife is visiting from Thursday night through Monday.
That sounds good, if I turn on my side he can just turn on is controller and it pops up. Don't know if his pressure becomes excessive for him. I don't know if it's because the main is connected in both systems and once the demand for water is turn on it can run to both sides.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
If you call CSV, asked if they have any drawings for your set up. Cary, I think is semi retired with a wealth of knowledge, but one pump two homes seems to be more common and I'm sure he has done this before.

With two controllers at each home, the MV leads need to go a maser valve, one for each home. If your home is the furthest from the pump, a master valve would be need on the feed pipe at your home. A MV is nothing more than a regular zone valve.

In my head I have it figured out. The pump would always have power and controlled by the pressure switch alone. When one MV opens pressure drops thus the pressure switch would run the pump. If your zones are large enough so where the pump cannot get to 60 psi, it would run continuously as you want it, however, the CSV would provide a steady pressure to each zone.

Does this make sense for you? I'm not very familiar with Franklin controller, my church has one where the caps went bad, but I have an electrical degree so I know I can figure it out.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
I got a rough drawing together. The will allow to leave power to the Franklin controller on at all times. The pump would turn on via the pressure switch connected to the SW and L2 terminals of the Franklin. Each home has an irrigation controller and its own master valve, (1" zone valve recommended). When irrigation is called for the MV lead has 24v ac on it for the duration of the program to keep the master valve open. This will drop the pressure and the pump will turn on.

This set up allow separate control at each home activated by the irrigation controller. I highly recommend the CSV for a steady pressure and Rainbird WiFi controllers. The MV can be anywhere and usually near the irrigation controller. After the pressure switch add a spigot to allow the pump to run without the irrigation system activated.

1694466272483.jpeg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks