Irrigation setup with a well

Users who are viewing this thread

SouthernMn

Reaction score
Hello, newbie here.

I’m trying to irrigate a 4,000 sq ft rectangle. I’m completely new to this and I’ve only been running one or two impact sprinklers in the middle.

Problem is, I’m running off a well. I have a 10gpm pump and the pressure switch is set at 40/60 psi.

This morning I was running the sprinklers while watching the gauge, and my pump cycled about 5-6 times in a 30 minute period. This is bad correct? It would kick on at 45psi, then cycle off at 65psi, and the process would repeat.

I know there are complicated looking methods (to me) on matching up my water flow and pump. I was also looking at CSVs but once again it looks a bit complicated for me. But theoretically, I just need to add more sprinklers or change the nozzles until my pump doesn’t cycle off, correct?

Bannerman

Reaction score
I just need to add more sprinklers or change the nozzles until my pump doesn’t cycle off, correct?
That is one method, but adding too much flow will reduce pressure, thereby reducing each sprinkler's coverage area.

A CSV is a simple addon that will prevent the pump from cycling, regardless of the sprinkler flow rate. As the flow from a CSV is regulated, the sprinklers will be supplied constant pressure and so will not undergo the current repeating 65 > 45 psi decrease and 45 > 65 psi pressure rise.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, keep adding sprinklers until the pump stops cycling. Installing a CSV isn't that complicated and may be a good idea for your situation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks