Irrigating from lake--suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

mikefunaro

Reaction score
Hi All,

I live on a large natural lake and have recently moved up here full time (previously was just a three season shack). Starting to take lawn and garden more seriously and my 140' well isn't having it. I would like to start using the lake as a water source instead of my well.

For the time being I would like to just continue watering with garden hoses which hook up to various sprinklers and drip hoses that I move around and also soaker hoses. Down the road I may install some automatic sprinklers but I am not there yet.

I measured things out today and here's how things shake out:

The rise from the lake bottom at 50' out in the water (where I would probably put an intake) to ground level at foundation wall on the lake side is around 25'. This distance is about 150'. I am then interested in watering plants/lawn/ground that are another 50' feet up and another 200' further beyond the lake. So total rise to maximum point of discharge one day with garden hose/sprinkler = 75' and total distance = 350'.

I have a neighbor who has irrigated with lakewater for a number of years and basically swears that the best way to do this is to submerge a well pump (encased in PVC pipe) in the lake, run it up to a pressure tank, and then run hoses off of that. I have been trying to find a reliable source of information which basically says if X, buy Y, and it seems like it doesn't exist. He and a plumber friend (commercial/industrial journeyman--this is not his wheelhouse) of mine seemed to suggest that I should just run the pump up to the lake side of the house (50' elevation) and then place a pressure tank there (either inside or outside), and then run the hoses off of that.

Any practical suggestions for what well pump I should get, what size pressure tank I should get, whether the pressure tank can be mounted outside on a pallet/skid or whether I need to keep the pressure tank inside (I am assuming I will need to remove the pump ever winter)? Also does it matter where on the hill the pressure tank is??

For the sake of calculations I am interested in running 2 garden hoses full blast at the 75' rise 350' distance.

Any help or directions for where to look are appreciated! Also I plan to run the pressure pipe from the pump to the pressure tank (assuming that this is the best choice for what I'm describing) on the ground for the first year, then I will excavate and bury a 4" PVC sleeve that it can run in.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The 75' rise will cost 30 PSI. So you will need a pump and pressure switch that will work at like 70/90 to get 40 to 60 up top. Doesn't sound like you need more than about 10 GPM so a 3/4HP, 10 GPM submersible will do. Something like a 10GS07 Goulds. With a 10 GPM pump at 70/90 pressure you will need at least a 60 gallon size pressure tank, but a CSV with a 10 gallon tank as comes with the PK1A kit would work better.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
As long as the pump is installed in 4" or 5" PVC casing, there is no way for anyone to get a fishhook or a finger on the electric wire or pump. A GFI doesn't work well with a submersible. But as long as you run a good ground wire it will be OK.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks