Iron compression coupling. Will it hold?

Users who are viewing this thread

pls2000

Reaction score
A question for someone with more experience with these things than I have

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller...tern-Compression-Coupling-160-004HC/100155616

If this joins pipes that are essentially free on both ends, neither pulled out of the coupling nor pushed into it, and holding the normal 60-70 psi city water pressure, will the pipes be blown out?

I need a way to join temporarily two pieces of 3/4 steel pipe, one of which is old enough that trying to break open a fitting would be like trying to win the lottery.

++PLS

pls2000

Reaction score
>Put pipe dope on the threads for lubrication.

Why? The threads aren't a sealing surface. If I want lubrication I'd put a little silicone grease on them.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Because plumbers usually have a lot more pipe dope with them than grease. We save that for rubber seals and faucets. I never put grease on a threaded coupling. Call me crazy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks