interpreting Kohler freestanding tub install instructions

Users who are viewing this thread

Yearski

Reaction score
I'm installing a Kohler freestanding tub but I am having a hard time believing that the instructions for the drain are literally correct. I'd appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Here is the install manual: Kohler Freestanding Tub Installation Instructions. My issue is on pages 10 and 12 (5" drain), that basically instruct you to put "silicone sealant" on both sides of all gaskets and washers. Yikes! Well it would be well sealed. Here are some pictures from the key sections:
1665076839518.png

1665076919308.png

1665077064141.png

1665076972512.png

1665077097754.png

For example, it seems outrageous to put silicone sealant on the bottom side of the drain gasket (side away from tub, contacting the nut). However, the words state "...to act as a lubricant". Is it possible that the intent is to actually use a silicone based lubricant, more familiarly "silicone/plumbing grease"? That actually seems reasonable to me.

What would you do? Interpret the instruction as "grease"? Throw out the instructions and install it all 'dry'? Use plumber's putty just to spark another silicone vs. putty debate?

Last edited:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Agreed: The instructions are rather insane.
Don't use silicone sealant on the under-fixture anywhere, that is the wrong place for silicone sealant.
I've never ever encountered silicone sealant on a donut type drain gasket either...but I've only seen donut type gaskets that come with some way recommended to drive them in, like a extra plastic ring...so it is possible that silicone sealant on the donut could work...but what a stupid mess and dastardly stupid design.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
just bad instructions they just dont care to insure that someone using thier product installs it correctly.
Step 7 can be silicone or putty
Step 9 I use victaulic lubricant , duck butter I would not recomend silicone though if you lube it good with silicone install it let it cure it will be fine Im not doing it that way just did one 2 weeks ago with duck butter

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks