Insulating 1/4 Copper

Users who are viewing this thread

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Just to prevent condensation .....basement.....
I understand that the insulation won't be insulation the cold water feed.

If it's a very short run, you might be able to slip some clear/frosted poly tubing over the copper to reduce the sweating if the water is not constantly running through the copper. Or wrap around insulation. How much water actually runs through it that condensation would be an issue? Well I looked at your link to your other post and it is clear you will never be able to slip clear poly tubing over that wiggly copper! And it looks like it is not a very short run either.

Last edited:

Chefwong

Reaction score
Excellent point. It's just for a icemaker.....so not that much water....
Ha. That wiggly copper is soft copper 1/4. I baby it as I uncoil it when I pulled it.....as I'm afraid of kinking that itty bitty line.
It's around 18 feet when all said and done. When I made the bends to the angle stop eats up some length...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Assuming that the run will be inside of a finished wall, condensation shouldn't really be an issue...the air in the wall will tend to stay at a fairly constant humidity level, and if there isn't an air leak, there may not be much. Plus, the line won't run all that much - maybe a quart at a time to refill the icemaker (assuming this isn't a commercial one), and often, less just to fill a glass. So, the water sitting in the line wouldn't be all that cold in the first place.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks