SOLVED: used Sioux Chief 600-206Pk to repair shower with CPVC pinhole leaks in tight space

Users who are viewing this thread

skuter

Reaction score
Water was disintegrating the sheetrock this knee wall. Took it all down an did a temp repair with tape and hose clamp. What's the best way to repair this connection? I am thinking:
1. cutting the copper pipe and prepare for a copper no-stop slip coupling.
2. unscrew all the stuff below. and replace with copper fitting and pipe.
3. Slip connect and solder.

Edit: May have to use 2 copper slip connectors. Or a Union, but not much space to backerboard.

Any suggestions.
Thank PXL_20240314_180507ss567.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't see a union working. Two copper slip joint couplers sounds good to me.

Another possibility is is to use a long cut-to-length coupler, and save two solder joints.

Sioux Chief 600-206PK is an example.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
What gnaws at me is that if the CPVC is failing there, there's a good chance it will be failing everywhere.

If I was planning to stay there, I'd repipe with something other than CPVC. It's probably just me but I don't trust that product at all.

John

skuter

Reaction score
Sioux Chief 600-206PK
Thanks. So if I use the long coupler, I need to use a male-to-sweat connection and then just two sweats. The top one is in place just needs cleaning, about how long should the bottom copper pipe be? and how long should the couple be.? Thx

skuter

Reaction score
What gnaws at me is that if the CPVC is failing there, there's a good chance it will be failing everywhere.

If I was planning to stay there, I'd repipe with something other than CPVC. It's probably just me but I don't trust that product at all.

John
Yes my neighbor had his under sink connection blew out when they were on vaction. Total loss of first floor.

Reach4

Reaction score
It would be interesting to see how the CPVC was installed to begin with. To me, pinhole leaks usually imply leaks somewhere other than at a joint.

GReynolds929

Reaction score
Never seen a true pinhole on CPVC. I've seen cracks and failed joints but not pinholes. As reach4 suggested replace that section of CPVC with copper. As far as length mock it up and measure to fit.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Right replace with copper and a repair coupling once the pipe is cut remove the trim on the diverter and it should have movement to getr the copper in . picture is a partial so it might be harder than I think

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks