Installing two 3-stage under-sink water filters in parallel for better flow

Users who are viewing this thread

Tripp Knightly

Reaction score
I've seen discussions / blogs about doing parallel filter installs for whole-house filtration but nothing on doing it for a single-point solution (though I think GE makes a "dual-flow" single stage filter that does just this).

I have a water dispenser faucet with a 1/4" connect. Based on aesthetics, getting a 3/8"-connect dispenser is not an option. Right now I have a fairly-typical 3-stage filter (APEC WFS-1000) installed right underneath the flooring in crawlspace. It uses 1/4" tubing. I'm getting .5gpm, which is not horrendous and about what I expected. But I'd like to improve it. I'm considering getting a second 3-stage unit and connecting it in parallel. I should mention that if I did this, I would use a 3/8" stop connect and split it to a 1/4" to feed each filter unit, then join back to 3/8" and then step down for the final connect @ the faucet.

I suppose one test I should run is taking out the filter and seeing what the unfiltered flow rate to that 1/4"-connect faucet would be. House pressure is good, perhaps too good (don't quote me but I think I got 75lbs last tested).

What do you think? Likely to improve flow rate? I'm thinking doubling or close to doubling would make it worth it. I'm not sure a whole-house filter is in the cards. Another option might be instead of the kludgey paralleling (leak risks too!) maybe I swap to a 3-stage that uses 3/8" throughput, still with the final step-down to 1/4".

Reach4

Reaction score
Another option would be to add a pre-charged pressure tank that would store a little water. The tank would fill and you could draw some amount more quickly at a given time. After the stored water is exhausted, flow would continue to your coffee pot, or whatever you are filling, at the current flow rate.

Figure about 1/2 gallon stored in a 2 gallon tank.

I suppose one test I should run is taking out the filter and seeing what the unfiltered flow rate to that 1/4"-connect faucet would be. House pressure is good, perhaps too good (don't quote me but I think I got 75lbs last tested).
Good test.

Tripp Knightly

Reaction score
Well I took out the filter by connecting the feed to the output via a john guest union coupler. Flow rate was maybe 3% better, so seems like parallel filters is a non-starter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks