Installing a second garbage disposal in a dual sink

Users who are viewing this thread

engleg

Reaction score
My niece has a dual kitchen sink with one side larger than the other side. The garbage disposal is attached to the smaller sink, but most of the dirty dishes end up in the larger sink. She hates this arrangement. I'm not sure how easy it would be for me to move the disposal to the other side. I'm wondering if just installing a second disposal wouldn't be easier, or if code would allow this. I would hook the second disposal to the switched outlet, and use another switching option to power the original disposal.

VmNLHjz.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You have sufficient room to do either option, but usually the disposer is installed in the smaller sink because you scrape and rinse the dishes into that one BEFORE placing them in the DW or other sink basin. You can use an ISE "push button switch" to operate either or both if you install a second disposer, ("Disposal" is trademark for ONLY the GE brands of disposers). And, the DW drain line SHOULD be attached to the bottom of the countertop.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; now ISE uses this same term for their disposers:

ISE ALWAYS calls their units "disposers", NOT DISPOSALS. Whoever wrote that blurb apparently did NOT know the difference. You notice everywhere else in the page it is "disposer". Many manufacturers are very diligent about notifying "abusers" to cease and desist.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I think "disposal" is now a 'genericized' term like "Kleenex." If you do a search on "disposal" you'll see the big box stores list ISE units under the term "disposal."

In the same vein, did you realize that "Aspirin" is a trademarked name?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
As is Romex (check the first item in the electrical forum), Scotch Tape, Teflon tape (which by the way does NOT exist), etc. In order to "keep" their trademarks the have to PREVENT people from turning them into generic names, which is why they pursue egregious violators. Just because some "hack" at Home Depot, calls them "Disposals" does NOT mean they have the authorization to do so, and it EXACTLY why the manufacturers do NOT want their names used generically.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks