inserting 3" PVC in old 3.5" cast iron as a liner!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Switchex

Reaction score
I have to replace old and cracked cast iron that goes from the basement into the street about 6 feet before reaching the city sewer line. I am calling a couple companies to get estimates for either a liner or a total replacement. Once they give me a line to the inside of the house, i can do the rest of the job.

However, I have been thinking of a way of doing the job myself!!! assuming the old line is straight with a 3.5" diameter, would it be possible to clean it out and insert a 3" PVC in it? I can use a camera to see how far I should insert the PVC in and stop few inches before reaching city line.

Did a lot of research have not seen anyone doing this .. whether it is a good or totally stupid idea, i am surprised no one has tried it!! what do you think?

Do I have any other do it yourself/cheap options?

Thanks.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have to replace old and cracked cast iron that goes from the basement into the street about 6 feet before reaching the city sewer line. I am calling a couple companies to get estimates for either a liner or a total replacement. Once they give me a line to the inside of the house, i can do the rest of the job.

However, I have been thinking of a way of doing the job myself!!! assuming the old line is straight with a 3.5" diameter, would it be possible to clean it out and insert a 3" PVC in it? I can use a camera to see how far I should insert the PVC in and stop few inches before reaching city line.

Did a lot of research have not seen anyone doing this .. whether it is a good or totally stupid idea, i am surprised no one has tried it!! what do you think?

Do I have any other do it yourself/cheap options?

There is no such thin has 3-1/2" soil pipe. What you have there is 4". The minimum diameter for the building drain has to be 4" so no, you can't and I doubt it would slide in anyway.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The plastic pipe WOULD NOT slide inside the cast iron. but if it did your plastic would have to be undersized. IF the cast iron is really 3 1/2" that would be the O.D. which is the same as 3" plastic ".No one has tried it, because they realize it would be a "dumb idea" for many reasons.

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
1. First you need a camera check to see the inside of your main drain line.

2. Another option to pipe replacement is relining. However, you need to find out if it's feasible in your case. If not, you're looking at replacement. Prepare money.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks