Increase Height of Sink Drain for Vessel Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Mccallum

Reaction score
Hey folks, I am installing a Kohler above-counter sink and it is asking for a drain that is 9" below the counter. Now the basement bathroom has the drain set at standard 18" off floor which is too low for this sink. To increase the height of this drain, I would like to use two 22deg elbows along with 1-1/2" ABS pipe while maintaining 1/4" per foot slope. We are only dealing with a ~22" distance between the sink and the standpipe. Trap weir is above the vent opening by ~4", which I thought was not permitted??

P-Trap-for-Kohler-Above-Counter-Sink.jpg

Wier-Elevation.jpg

Do you cats see anything wrong with this p-trap configuration or do I need to cut the standpipe and raise up the sanitary tee to the proper height?

These pictures are wrong. The trap arm can only have a 2% grade on it.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You are creating an s-trap with those two 22.5 bends. You would be better off to just have a longer tail piece. Is the pipe that the sink is draining into a drain from fixtures above? If it is you will need a vent or an air admittance valve (AAV). The little drawing at the bottom of your post does not meet the plumbing code either. It is also an s-trap.

Last edited:

Mccallum

Reaction score
The vertical pipe above is only for venting...no fixtures drain into it directly.
I am not a big fan of AAVs so I think I might just cut the existing tee out...couple in a short riser 2" pipe with a new sanitary tee and use a fernco coupler above as I do not have any vertical play to glue in both ends.

This way..no s-trap and ace venting. Thoughts?

Option 2.jpg

Reaction score
DIY think rubber couplers are so easy to install, until they do it and realize how immobile and rigid the vertical is.

I love using rubber couplers where they are in basements or open ceilings and homeowners can keep an eye on them as the decades roll by. You are compounding a problem situation by using rubber couplers unnecessarily and closing it up in a wall.

There is no reason for you to disturb that vertical when it is so much easier to just have the trap lower and tailpiece longer. Those parts can be all metal if you are afraid feet will be kicking them.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
WHO says you have to "raise the drain"? You can use it the way it is and just use a longer tailpiece to reach the lower trap.
Standard a/c. for your information "rubber couplings", i.e., "Fernco couplings", are NOT approved for use inside a building.

RAckerson

Reaction score
WHO says you have to "raise the drain"? You can use it the way it is and just use a longer tailpiece to reach the lower trap.
Standard a/c. for your information "rubber couplings", i.e., "Fernco couplings", are NOT approved for use inside a building.
Couldn’t you “raise the drain” but then, once inside the wall, simply turn 90 degrees down and reconnect with original drain line that’s vented and already plumbed at the proper slope? Or is that considered to be an s-pipe?

Reach4

Reaction score
1. You are responding to a 2016 post.
2. After a p-trap, the output must stay horiziontal (with the 1/4 inch per foot slope) until it has been vented. Only then you can turn down.

RAckerson

Reaction score
1. You are responding to a 2016 post.
2. After a p-trap, the output must stay horiziontal (with the 1/4 inch per foot slope) until it has been vented. Only then you can turn down.
Thanks for your response. Beginning to regret our choice to go with a Kohler vanity in our remodel of a half-bath. Kohler specs require I raise my old drain about 6 inches to accommodate their fancy design. I had no idea I’d run into this issue. Buyer beware.

Reach4

Reaction score
Same or worse with Ikea. Yes, vanities with drawers and shelves may call for modifications of vanity or plumbing.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. Beginning to regret our choice to go with a Kohler vanity in our remodel of a half-bath. Kohler specs require I raise my old drain about 6 inches to accommodate their fancy design. I had no idea I’d run into this issue. Buyer beware.
Provide some more info and perhaps we can come up with a solution. There are more than one way to skin a cat.

Model of Vanity and current drain dimensions would help. Maybe some photos if its difficult to describe.

Modification can occur in the wall or in the cabinet or even to the cabinet. This is the joy and challenge of remodeling and why hiring designers and professionals with experience may increase some cost, but ultimately save time and frustration.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks