Ikea cabinet vs angled drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Laughingpuddle

Reaction score
Hello everyone...

We hired a contractor to renovate the bathrooms at my mom's place and now that the upstairs bathroom is almost complete, we've hit a snag with the Ikea sink/vanity.

From what I've seen online, most people were able to make the Ikea plumbing fit behind the drawers by cutting the drain pipe flush against the wall and then connecting it to the p-trap with an adapter, but it looks like their drains come straight of the wall. For some reason, ours comes out at an angle (see attached pics - #1 is from cabinet front, #2 is from top down)

The contractor is saying we'll need to cut the drawers short by 1/3, though I would really prefer not to since the whole point of buying the vanity was the drawers. I'm hoping someone knows of a way to deal with our stub out that doesn't involve sacrificing the drawers (or at least not as much as 1/3 of the storage space). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20180104_215547-resized.jpg
    20180104_215547-resized.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 421
  • 20180104_215525-resized.jpg
    20180104_215525-resized.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 378

Reach4

Reaction score
Just an idea. You could make a cardboard template of what will clear the plumbing. Have a carpenter cut out just what it takes to miss the pipes. The back of the drawers will have an odd (not straight) shape, and you will pay the carpenter for the special work to build a drawer back to match the cutout.

You will have a funny story for your friends when you show them the drawers.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Depending on WHERE the water lines are, we cannot tell from the picture from above, you might cut the 45 off, install a new one facing to the right and then the trap next to the wall.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cut the wall around the drain and expose the drain connection, then take a picture and post it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks