Chrome p-trap question

Users who are viewing this thread

ivwshane

Reaction score
I'm doing a bathroom remodel right now and before I put up the drywall I want to make sure I don't need to touch any more of the plumbing. Part of the p-trap for the sink will be exposed with the new vanity I'm using so I was thinking about using a chrome trap.

Because the current setup uses ABS, I'll need to glue a hub trap adapter but I am unsure of the sizes I need for everything.

The ABS in the wall is about 2" OD with the inside about 1 1/2". The drain pipe coming from the sink is exactly 1 1/4" OD.

What do I need to make this work? An ABS hub of 1 1/2" to 1 1/4" and then a 1 1/4" chrome trap?

http://m.homedepot.com/p/1-1-2-in-x-1-1-4-in-ABS-DWV-Hub-x-SJ-Trap-Adapter-C58017HD112114/100348302

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Jones-St...ated-Brass-P-Trap-17-GA-w-Box-Escutcheon-L-CO

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
So you have a 1-1/2" ABS pipe now.
I normally use a 1.5" p-trap on both lavs and sinks. You can use a 1.25" trap on a lav drain, as the tailpiece is 1.25" anyway. Because of that, I normally use a 1.5" trap with a 1.5" x 1.25" reducing slip joint washer where it meets the tailpiece.
Either will work on a lav.

The one below is PVC, but chrome would be similar.

p-trap_with_adapter.jpg

trap_adapter_both.jpg

ivwshane

Reaction score
So all or most ptraps have a 1.25" tail piece?

The main reason for choosing that particular chrome ptrap was because it came with a box escutcheon, which I hope will cover the hub adapter I have to use.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Lav faucets come with 1.25" drains.
Most plumbers install 1.5" in the wall. You can get box flanges for 1.5" and 1.25". The choice is yours.

ivwshane

Reaction score
So I got my parts today and I was hoping that the escutcheon would cover the hub trap adapter and make for a clean setup coming out of the wall. No luck.

Is there an easy solution to this or am I stuck replacing pretty much everything in the wall in order get a clean and pretty trap coming out of the wall? If you look at my original picture you may be able to see that there would be no way way replace any components.

image.jpeg

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did you try a "deep" box escutcheon? The one that shows as included with your nice 17 ga. trap looks pretty shallow. If that doesn't
work, you'll have to replace the santee in the wall with a spigot trap adapter inserted directly into it.

Making things look pretty is hard work, and expensive!

ivwshane

Reaction score
Did you try a "deep" box escutcheon? The one that shows as included with your nice 17 ga. trap looks pretty shallow. If that doesn't
work, you'll have to replace the santee in the wall with a spigot trap adapter inserted directly into it.

Making things look pretty is hard work, and expensive!

I've tried looking for a deep one in chrome but for whatever reason no one seems to list the actual depth/height. I believe I would need one about 2.5" (or whatever the normal height is for a hub trap adapter).

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Google "adjustable escutcheon", there are dozens of styles and sizes to choose from in various finishes.

ivwshane

Reaction score
IMG_1210.JPG

Ok, I'm at the final stage and I am still not able to resolve this issue.

I've tried searching all the options mentioned and either my google-fu sucks or I'm not understanding what I need.

Here is what it looks like and I do indeed need a 2.5"-3" deep escutcheon.

Any suggestions, links?

The attached pic shows the hub trap adapter, however I have not glue it on yet.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
cut-back-trap-adapter-2.jpg

If you had a hub at the wall, you could have used a pipe reamer, cut the pipe out of the hub, and used a spigot trap adapter.
It looks like a male trap adapter, and that puts you out farther.

cut-back-trap-adapter-3.jpg

ivwshane

Reaction score
cut-back-trap-adapter-2.jpg

If you had a hub at the wall, you could have used a pipe reamer, cut the pipe out of the hub, and used a spigot trap adapter.
It looks like a male trap adapter, and that puts you out farther.

cut-back-trap-adapter-3.jpg

Perfect!! The hub trap adapter you see in my pic isn't installed but the pipe is reamed out like you said. So all I need is the spigot adapter.

I have feeling this is what you told me in a previous post but apparently I wasn't understanding it.

Thank you!

ivwshane

Reaction score
IMG_1227.JPG

Apparently I didn't ream out enough old material as I still came up short with about a ~1/4" left uncovered by using the spigot adapter and a slightly deeper escutcheon. However, I found a tub faucet plate that fit over the ABS and lined up perfectly with the escutcheon and the results are better than I had anticipated!

WABAC

Reaction score
My situation is similar to the original poster's. Taking out original p-trap from a 1970 built house and switching to exposed p-trap. And there are just a lot more options available in 1-1/4" tube over the whole course.

What is installed is what I gather to be a hub and slip adapter on a 2" OD ABS pipe.

As you can see from the attached picture, I (speaking for my contractor) have plenty of room to cut the old adapter off, and install a spigot adapter closer to the wall. So I'm hoping my contractor doesn't have to have some fancy tool to ream anything out.I got confused at that post.

But when I type ABS spigot adapter DWV into my search engine, I immediately become confused by the options and the jargon. These sites assume I know what I am looking for. And I don't. Some search results bring gender into it. Is a spigot male or female? o_O

So. In my quest to make just one trip, and just one purchase, for this small part of the project . . .

The original poster linked to this part
https://www.homedepot.com/p/NIBCO-1...ub-x-SJ-Trap-Adapter-C58017HD112114/100348302

Is that going to properly fit the inside of my existing 2" OD pipe? Is that part measured as 1-1/2" Outside Diameter? Or some other diameter? Should I stop worrying and shop at the Despot? They already are getting plenty of action out of this bathroom remodel.

But if I am on some other site, or at a local supply shop, and I find a spigot / slip adapter listed as 1-1/2 x 1-1/4 is it safe to assume that it will fit just fine into the existing pipe? And do the job I want it too?

Thanks for your help.

Here's the picture as is. The old drywall will be coming out to inspect the condition of the existing plumbing, install support for the hanging vanity, and to cap off one of the sink set ups. We're closer to ADA than getting two kids ready for school.

IMG_0133[1].JPG

Reach4

Reaction score
WABAC: Let's see the tape measure across the opening and the threads.

What is the OD of the threads? A little under 1.9? You can use a strip of paper to determine the circumference, and then divide by pi.

Last edited:

WABAC

Reaction score
The approximate diameter of the threaded piece I want to cut off is 1.790" as measured by wrapping a length of braided 30lb backing line around it.. Laying a ruler across the front of it eyeballs to about 1.75 inches. outside edge to edge. You'll have t take my word on that. My computer is tired of talking to my iphone now.

The approximate diameter of the piece in back that comes out of the wall is 2.0292" as measured by the line.

Reach4

Reaction score
What is installed is what I gather to be a hub and slip adapter on a 2" OD ABS pipe.
I think that is "1-1/2 inch" ABS, which is 1.9 OD. Then add some layers of paint to bring it up to the bigger dimension.

I think you have a hub trap adapter on there, and I expect you can attach a 1.5 inch trap, or with the right washer, you could use a 1.25 trap. The slip traps (including the trap arms) are measured OD. I would think you would want to avoid trying to glue something on that pipe from the wall. Try to keep the black trap adapter that is glued.

If you buy a fitting that says "spigot", that is made to go into a hub. The spigot part is the same size as a pipe. If you were to find a fitting that goes inside of the pipe, as is sometimes done with a closet flange, it would be called "inside". I don't think they make those for inside of 1-1/2 pipe.
The original poster linked to this part
https://www.homedepot.com/p/NIBCO-1...ub-x-SJ-Trap-Adapter-C58017HD112114/100348302

Is that going to properly fit the inside of my existing 2" OD pipe? Is that part measured as 1-1/2" Outside Diameter? Or some other diameter?
I think you could screw the white part onto your existing threaded black part. However, using HD, you could go for this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...ith-1-1-2-in-Reducing-Washer-C2698C/205154062 That gives you the reducing washer to go with the nut.

That lets you put your 1-1/4 trap arm and trap in place to drain your lavatory. It is probably available in black, but there is not a functional difference. The plastic slip parts are usually made from polypropylene rather than PVC or ABS. You could also mix in chrome-plated brass, and use chromed nuts. "Slip" refers to the fact that these are neither threaded on nor glued. I hope that helps get you started.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks