I have a really quick question, can't find the answer anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

IPDQKWID

Reaction score
2" PVC repair coupling (the kind without the hub, and not the slide extend-a-thing): The two ends of the PVC pipes will almost touch, do I prime and glue both pipes, then slide the repair coupling down on the joint, with a twisting, jerking motion (sorry, that's an old Chris Farley line)?
Thank you

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've never actually used one, but yes. The tricky part is not letting it get stuck before you reach the final position. Mark where you want the end to be.

And I think you want to prime the coupling before you slide it on the pipe, the only reason not to would be if it causes the coupling to get too sticky. But it would definitely make a better joint.

Cheers, Wayne

viper1

Reaction score
I have worked miles and miles of high pressure 2" in golf course irrigation. I agree with above that I just don't trust those slip couplers. Not because they won't work, but because you don't always know exactly how everything will fit until you throw the glue. You have seconds. I agree with digging up more or using the telescopic repair. If you feel froggy, you can also go with an Oring union but will need to get the pipe lengths right.

If you want this put to bed the right way, dig, bend, and use the right coupler. Regardless, use primer! Every leak I ever see is a lack of priming. I do it even for DWV.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks