Reassure me that a shielded coupling (e.g., Fernco) is just as good

Users who are viewing this thread

Chesterton

Reaction score
I have to splice into my 3" horizontal waste line. It's behind a wall (hidden) in the basement and will be real pain to get to now and in the future. There is no "give" in the pipe--I can't slide it around or whatever to make a traditional coupling work.

I am currently planning to use two of the 3" shielded PL to PL couplings (P3005-33).

My understanding is that I could use two PVC repair couplings. I could get the first one on without issue, I think. But I wouldn't be able to do them both at the same time. So before I did the first joint I would need to prime the heck out of the second, let it dry, then slide it onto the pipe to use later. I'd repair the first joint, then put a lot of cement on the outside of the second joint and slide the coupling over--and hope that there was enough cement to go around.

I am wary of my ability to do the second joint well--hence my plan to use the shielded couplings. I have read that they're great, etc., but every time I look at them I feel like I'm settling and that I should do it with the PVC. Can someone talk me off this ledge?!!

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
Use the shielded couplings. PVC repair couplings are a pain to use and you only get one shot at it.

mission_bandseal.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
They are definitely just as good and 100% better odds than PVC repair couplings. All No Hub installations use them for All of their connections.. literally millions of these installed yearly in commercial buildings.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
The shielded are what we always use. You will have to glue stubs into your new plastic fitting, or you can use a no hub wye, but then you would buy the CP300 which is 3" cast x 3" plastic...just accommodates the different o.d. that is cast iron.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks