I have a dinosaur furnace/boiler in my basement...

Users who are viewing this thread

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have a dinosaur furnace/boiler in my basement...
there is a dial that starts at 60 and goes to 220...what does it mean and where do I set it too??
It is metal and I can slide it back and forth to any number...I am in Boston and it is getting cold...Please help!
Tanya

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
So what is it, a furnace (hot air) or a boiler (hot water or steam)? If it is a boiler does it supply hot water or steam? Do you have cast iron radiators in your house or baseboard heaters? What is the name/manufacturer of the equipment and what is the model number?

But most of all, can you post some pictures of the equipment?

More pictures are always better than fewer. Please have CLEAR pictures and have both close up pictures and ones from a far enough distance that we can see how the various parts are interconnected.

Last edited by a moderator:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The best thing to do here is call a service technician in before something dangerous happens.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
To be certain what the adjustments are for, you'd need the manual. Often, they're the high/low set points for the boiler water. One sets the max where it shuts off, the other represents (when the system is calling for heat) it will allow it to cool off to before it turns back on. Basically, it defines the zone the boiler tries to maintain when heat is called for. Often, this is set with a difference of around 20-degrees F. To be certain, though, you'd need to see the manual. Your specific needs and the proper setting can't be done from here without knowing the whole system's requirements.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks