Hyak ski area, now Summit East. 1959/1960

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Planning for Hyak, what is now called Summit East started in 1959. It previously had been used for ski jumping much earlier than that, but this time they would be putting in two rope tows and a large lodge with cafeteria. I remember asking my father Melvin Love about the ski jumping hill from the past, as he used to jump at Leavenworth and knew quite a bit about that. He owned nine acres to the East of the area and was involved in the local politics of the Summit area. He also had a cabin on the North side of I-90 on forest service land that in Winter we had to ski into. I also remember picking huckleberries on the hills where Alpental now is before that was turned into a place to ski.

hyak-terrylove-01.jpg

A picture from the brochure explaining what the goal was for Hyak from 1959.

hyak-terrylove-03.jpg

I don't see the stairs in this one, because the 2nd floor was added later. I remember walking in and seeing the very high ceiling above.

hyak-terrylove-04.jpg

The plan for where the rope tows would go and the parking.

hyak-terrylove-02.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
hyak-terrylove-06.jpg

This is me, Terry Love skiing at Hyak. Beyond the hill in the distance would be Lake Keechelus.

terry-1958-ski-01.jpg

By our cabin on the Summit.
The brothers Randy, Jamie, Terry and Trinda my sister.

snoqualmie-cabin-3-terrylove.jpg

The cabin at the Summit.

snoqualmie-cabin-4-terrylove.jpg

My brother Clare, Melvin Love, and either Terry or Randy

snoqualmie-cabin-5-terrylove.jpg

The road in Summer looked like this in Winter.

snoqualmie-cabin-6-terrylove.jpg

And for the small ones, they fit on my fathers back.

More information about Snoqualmie Pass.

https://summitatsnoqualmie.com/Documents/Summit/general/Alpentals-Story.pdf

http://www.ancientskiers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/ANCIENT_SKIERS_BOOK_2014.pdf

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks