Bakke Hill Ski Jump, Leavenworth, WA

Discussion in 'Terry's Corner' started by Terry, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    Bakke Hill Ski Jump in Leavenworth Washington has had it's share of ski jumpers. From the 30's to the 70's it got a lot of action, including having some of the longest jumps recorded nationally. It received visitors from Europe and Japan to try their skills on the hill there. The big hill is no longer being used now, but the history of of it fascinating. I first heard of it from my father Melvin V. Love, who had gone to high school there. I was living in a small town near Seattle at that time, Bellevue. As a kid, the idea of skiing was big, and I asked my father if I could learn to ski. I was about four or five at that time. My first skis had the tails cut off, no edges and painted on bases with cable bindings.

[​IMG]

In 2018 this is what the big jump looks like. It hasn't been in use for some time now.

[​IMG]

The top part may be from 1960, the lower from 2018

[​IMG]

I'm on the right, standing in the same place as my father on the right, whose picture was taken sometime in the 30's.
    The picture on the right is hanging on the wall in Leavenworth at Kristalls Restaurant and Lounge.

[​IMG]

This is the lodge here.
    Leavenworth Winter Sports Club

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My mother Pamela is on the left, then me, Terry.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  2. Terry

Plumber
    [​IMG]

Watching them fly by, the pants flapping in the wind making it's own racket, seeing them soar down and then touch down, Womp! and then take a long time flipping their long skis sideways to bring down their speed and to a stop.

[​IMG]

My sister Trinda is on the lower left, and I'm on the lower right.

[​IMG]

Why are we taking notes here?

[​IMG]

My father Melvin Love when he was in high school.

[​IMG]

Leavenworth ski jumpers

[​IMG]

This picture is from the 30's I believe.

[​IMG]

My father on the right.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    valveman likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

valveman likes this.
  4. Terry

Plumber
    [​IMG]

Taken March 27 2018
    Almost no snow here. The following week there was a blizzard on Snoqualmie Pass. Leavenworth is East of Stevens Pass.

[​IMG]

We hiked up to look at the jump in disrepair.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bakke Hill, Leavenworth WA

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  5. bakke

bakke New Member

Hey Terry,
    cool pics. I am working on a documentary video about Bakke Hill, and would love to use some of your photos. Also, am wondering if you have any more vintage photos or video.

6. Terry

Plumber
    I don't have video but I do have more pictures. I would be glad to share.

7. bakke

bakke New Member

Thank you. Do you know the dates of those pictures with you and family at the tournament, and also, how sure are you of the date on that 2nd picture (1960)? If you could email, or google drive, any pictures that you have, that would be awesome! My wife's relatives are Magnus and Hermod, and uncles Kjell and Knute, who jumped in the 50's. Hermod jumped the A hill at age 59. Crazy.

8. Terry

Plumber
    I'm pretty sure 1960.
    I remember being on the hill and helping to smooth it out after someone would fall. I was in 4th grade. My two older brothers jumped the hill in the 60's, I didn't. Clare, the oldest went off the jump with Head skis and Cubco step-ins and when he left the jump, both skies fell off. He was wearing shorts and a polo shirt and got rather scrapped up on the ice. He had just gotten back from Vietnam. My brother James went to high school meets there. My father was the original one in the family though back in the 30's.

9. bakke

bakke New Member

So the other pictures of the jumping were 1960 as well? I have a picture of Hermod, just after taking off, with his right ski up by his hip, floating away. Don't know how he landed but I want to find out. Binding tech needed work. Do you know who jumper #87 is? Bill Love graduated with Ethel Bakke.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019