HVAC Surge Protector

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hi six years ago I had a surge protector installed on my central air. It made sense to me at the time. I am getting a new central air installed does everyone give a thumbs up on a surge protector? Thanks.

Fitter30

Reaction score
The higher the efficiency of the equipment the more electronic boards and sensors they have in them. Surge protection wouldn't be a bad idea. If using a electronic thermostat the setting for compressor 5 minute time delay should be programed on to keep compressor off from a power outage.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Central Air usually has two sets of breakers, a 220v breaker for the Compressor, a second 220v breaker for the air handler. Where are the current surge protector(s)? If there is an indicator that the surge protector(s) are still good, just leave it. If you ever find a surge protector to be bad, it means it did its job. Most have a green led as good, red if bad. Most of the time the surge protect recovers but a very high spike such as a nearby lighting strike will kill the device.

Nowadays the more common surge protector is installed at the breaker panel. Either an outboard unit or one that fits into a breaker position taking two positions. This provided a whole house type of protection. If you need to change the surge protectors go with a whole house.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I had a whole house surge protector done on my mom's house. I have to take a look into the cost of having one at my place. I live in a three family condo building. AC on the roof. We do have a dedicated panel for our unit. There is an AC disconnect on the roof. Two of the AC estimators were surprised they did not find the breakers for the AC on the panel. There is only a regular breaker for the air handler not a 220. The other 220v breaker for the compressor is missing. I have to call in the electrician any way to figure that out and in the process look for a whole house surge protector. Hopefully next week this will all be sorted out and I will post what the electrician found.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One company makes a circuit protector designed for HVAC equipment. IT does not take the place of surge suppression but is a good idea. If you get a power outage, when the power comes back on, it can be quite noisy as everything on the line in the neighborhood starts to come on all at once. This device allows you to set the disable voltage level, and the amount of time after reapplication of power before it will activate the device. I don't remember the brand name...I can pull the panel off of my equipment and look if you're interested.

With a unit on the roof, it's best to put the surge suppression closer to it than at the power panel, although the rest of the stuff in the house would still benefit from having one there.

If your panel isn't too old, some breaker manufacturers have some that are as simple to install as snap in what is configured like a new breaker...no extra wiring, assuming you have room for it in the panel.

One company that I think makes a decent surge suppression device is Mersen. Not a name you hear much in residential stuff, but big in industrial. The do make various surge suppression stuff applicable for residential use though, and may end up a little less expensive than some bigger names that spend more on advertising.

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I had a whole house surge protector done on my mom's house. I have to take a look into the cost of having one at my place. I live in a three family condo building. AC on the roof. We do have a dedicated panel for our unit. There is an AC disconnect on the roof. Two of the AC estimators were surprised they did not find the breakers for the AC on the panel. There is only a regular breaker for the air handler not a 220. The other 220v breaker for the compressor is missing. I have to call in the electrician any way to figure that out and in the process look for a whole house surge protector. Hopefully next week this will all be sorted out and I will post what the electrician found.
Some electric utility companys offer surge protector at the meter

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Your air handler must have been built for 120v, 120 motor and for a low wattage electric heat strip if wanted. If you're in an old home with 100 amp main, when AC was added there may not have been two empty slots next to one another. A DIYer may have L1 and L2 from two different locations or a possible sub panel else where. It does sound like you have a handle on it.

As jadnashua states a delay device to apply power is a good idea if you have a lot of power outages. Electric Utilities that offer surge protection at the meter may be good for surge protection but it is usually a third party supporting the device and for claims and about$10 a month is added to he electric bill. The surge protector device get plugged in the meter box with the meter itself plugged into the surge protector. Just realize that it is a surge protector, not a lightning protector. The subscription surge protector will usually come with a warranty for electronic devices and appliances in the home. But a claim of damage and it was determined that it was lightning, all bets are off and you deal with the insurance party, not the utility company.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of a whole-house surge protection at the panel, but on expensive stuff, I also use one there. On critical things, I use a UPS. On a UPS, there are numerous versions, I prefer one that outputs a true sinewave versus a stepped one as some electronics don't like the electrical noise a stepped version creates. Then, you have those that only use the line voltage to charge their batteries, and run the sine-wave off of their internal generator powered by those batteries. That will give you the purest power of all, but at a higher cost for the hardware.

Asset Electric

Reaction score
Today, surge protectors are usually installed at the breaker panel. The unit needs to be an outboard one or it must fit into a breaker position. This provides protection for the entire residence. Replace the surge protectors for the whole house if you need to do so.

Reaction score
Today, surge protectors are usually installed at the breaker panel. The unit needs to be an outboard one or it must fit into a breaker position. This provides protection for the entire residence. Replace the surge protectors for the whole house if you need to do so.
Thanks I had my electrician install an Eaton on the panel taking up two spots. He shifted two devices down. The panel was full so he made two breakers into twin breakers. It was not expesnive at all and I regret not doing it years ago.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks