HVAC filters

Users who are viewing this thread

Captflx

Reaction score
Because of allergies, I want an excellant filter and have been using the 3M Filtrete 1250 filter. 3M rates their filters with Micoparticle Performance Rating (MPR); hence the 1250 that they say is 90% efficient. I want the usual filtering of particles, dander, etc, to include mold spores. I think spores are larger than 10 microns.
There are other filters on the market with a MERV rating. So how do I decide which is better according to ratings, and are there better filters than the Filtrete 1250 at $16 each? Oh they also have a 1750 model (93% efficiency) for $19 but I'm not sure 3% is woth $3. I have two filters and try to replace @ 60 to 90 days. Ouch!

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Good questions - I'd like to know, too!

I put in the $20 one a couple weeks ago and got to thinking that over the long haul it might be worth getting an electronic filter put in - but then you have the hassle of cleaning it every month, I assume.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If found on the 3M site that the filtrete 1250 is rated at MERV 11.

You might want to consider a washable filter. Some of those are available with high Merv numbers.

You might also consider a foam prefilter to catch the big dust bunnies , which clog the filter long before it's effectiveness on the low-micron stuff dimishes. You should have an A/C guty design this, because you might need to make the return air larger, in order to have adequate CFM for the heat/cool system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks