how to seal downspout joint

Users who are viewing this thread

anna

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a leaky downspout joint and tried sealing it from the outside, but it still leaks. Is there a way to seal it from the inside? Some kind of flexible applicator or brush? I think it has a better chance of not leaking if sealed from the inside.

Specifics:
Galvanized metal 2x3, inside miter, shoe joint

TIA,
Anna

Sulconst2

Reaction score
sounds like the connection is backwards. the upper leader should be inside the lower. then the only way it could leak is if it was clogged.

anna

Reaction score
not clogged, just old. at least a dozen years if not more, though not sure since not the original owner.

don't know if the connection is backwards and not inclined to unsolder the joint to find out. but i don't think so, since it hadn't leaked before now.

any tips on sealing it from the inside?

Thanks,
Anna

Hube

Reaction score
Anna since you say 'a leaky downspout', that would suggest the pipe that attaches to the gutter/eavestrough. That is why it was suggested it was reversed " lapped".Normally if they are lapped properly (upper edge INTO lower) they never leak unless filled with water by being plugged up.

But I think what you are referring to is the main horizontal gutter/eavestrough and is right at a mitred corner joint/s.
Your local hardware store has various sealants for this. Make sure you DRY and CLEAN the joint real good on the INSIDE before applying.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks