How to plumb in my radiator?

Users who are viewing this thread

JanSolo

Reaction score
OK, so I removed the brass fitting from the rad, retaped it, cranked the ever-loving-shit out of it and then reinstalled the rest. I also cranked that union to within an inch of its life.

Seems to hold water now! :D The rest of the fittings appear water-tight; looks like it was just the brass one that was having problems.
Score!

Cheers.

Jan

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
System is hot water if it was steam have to have a steam trap.

I converted several two pipe steam systems to hot water

We left the steam trap in place and just removed the element

On a steam vacuum system there is NO steam trap as the vacuum pulls the condensate back to the cooling tank for disposal when the utility supplies the steam

On a one pipe steam system there is no trap on the convectors or
radiators

Cast is used as it is cheaper BUT it can also have defects such as a bad casting and cast can easily be broken with a lump hammer with a wrench holding back to prevent unwanted vibration

Even modern-day fire suppression piping we see more mailable then cast fittings

On some hydronic systems I have seen the water temperature exceeding 240 DEG F (CRAZY)

NBBI , ASME low pressure hot water boilers 160 PSI 250 DEG

By definition, a low-pressure-steam boiler is a steam boiler in which the operating pressure does not exceed 15 psi (103 kPa), whereas a hot-water boiler is defined as a boiler used for an operating pressure not exceeding 160 psi (1,100 kPa) and/or for a temperature not exceeding 250_F (121_C).

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
NO Teflon on the threads for the union on the spud from the valve to the radiator

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks