Radiator removal & Mystery pipe!

Users who are viewing this thread

JanSolo

Reaction score
Hello again o wise plumbers of the internet! Spring is here and it's time to tackle some renos!
This time I'll be removing an old rad from my kitchen so that I can lay a Schluter heated floor.

I moved my old cabinets only to discover a mystery pipe running along the floor that was concealed under that cabinets.

My plan is:
1. Drain system.
2. Remove rad and mystery pipe.
3. Place caps on the connections that went to the rad.
4. Refill and check for leaks.

Does this sound like a good idea? Am I risking messing up my heating system by capping off the flow where that rad was?

Thanks again, o wise plumbing masters; I await your judgement!

Cheers

Jan.

Plumbing02.jpg

Here's the radiator. Notice the mystery copper pipe on the left.

Plumbing01.jpg

Here's where the mystery pipe feeds into the rad.

Plumbing03.jpg

Here's the right hand rad hookup. Notice the half-inch copper pipe... where's that going?

Plumbing04.jpg

Here's the end of the mystery pipe. This connects to the main 2 inch heating pipe that goes to the furnace.

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your system was probably changed from a gravity to a pumped system.

I wonder if there was another radiator there in the past that someone removed and replaced with a piece of pipe.

Kind of hard to give a precise answer unless you know how your system is piped and what connects where. If you could draw a schematic of the system it would help to know where to cut and cap what.

Someone else might have a better handle on this but I'd need to do some tracing.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Is the fin tube tied into the radiator with that 1/2"? Probably won't have a problem but galvanized fittings/ pipe shouldn't be used in a heating system because the galvanize could start flaking off get into zone valves and stop them up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks