How to install drywall up to tub edge.

Users who are viewing this thread

MaryAnnKacz

Reaction score
Keeping our Kohler Villager tub. House is 50's pre-fab. Things are a little different in this house. Interior walls are 2x3 studs turned the other way. Over this is 1/4 or 3/8 inch plywood paneling. I'm wondering if this paneling is part of wall support. Why did I buy this house? Bathroom had the laminate tile look paneling over walls. Managed to get all this off. Planned on taking off plywood paneling. Found out plywood is glued to studs. Impossible to get off. So we will be installing greenboard directly over paneling. Cutting out any paneling with moisture damage, a few spots near tub towards floor. The paneling runs from wall to ceiling all around alcove tub. Tub is set against paneling. We would like to install greenboard above tub ledge, but not below it. House is on slab, need to be sure bathtub drain is in same position. Will be installing new tub surround. Do we put edge of greenboard directly on tub ledge, or leave a gap? I have read to leave a gap. But what will support bottom edge of surround? Sliding tub out and working around it. There may be some moisture damage on 5 foot wall behind tub, that we will jigsaw out. Then we will move tub back before drywalling around it.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Leave about 1/8" between the tub ledge and the edge of the greenboard and the surround. Fill that space with silicone caulk. The panels are not really part of the support structure, but since they are glued to the 2x3, you're right in leaving them because they don't hurt anything. It sounds like you're pretty much on track.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is the tub also used as a shower? Are you just going to paint the greenboard or are you thinking of tile? If tile, use cement board and put a vapor barrier behind it overlapping the tub tile flange.

MaryAnnKacz

Reaction score
Yes, shower also. No tile, except on floor. We bought a 3 piece tub surround , Crane, with overlapping corners. Do we leave a gap with surround also, or does it rest on tub?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Using the greenboard will give you a vertically plumb surface to attach the surround to. A thin 3/8 would probably be good, but I don't know if greenboard comes in 3/8". As mentioned, stop the drywall just above the lip. caulk really well with clear silicone. The surround pieces should overlap the drywall and extend down to about 1.8" off the tub deck. Fill the gap with clear silicone. Follow instructions which come with the surround.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks