How to cut a WYE (4,4,2) to an existing pipe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Jason8383

Reaction score
Hi,

I have 2 questions:

1) I am connecting a washing machine in my bathroom and have been told that to meet does it should be connected directly to the main stack. I located this stack and I am wondering how I should connect my 2" pipe to the 4X4X2 ABS 45. I cannot easily "spread" the stack which runs vertical, is my best option to use a 4X4X2 ABS 45 (WYE), attach 4 inch pipe on both sides and use Ferco (mechanical) adapters. Your thoughts?

2) I will be installing a floor drain behind the washing machine, is their any "special p-traps" that would prevent water evaporation? I am worries that my floor drain will one day vent sewer gas into the home as it might never see water.

Your thoughts!!!

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Hi,

I have 2 questions:

1) I am connecting a washing machine in my bathroom and have been told that to meet does it should be connected directly to the main stack. I located this stack and I am wondering how I should connect my 2" pipe to the 4X4X2 ABS 45. I cannot easily "spread" the stack which runs vertical, is my best option to use a 4X4X2 ABS 45 (WYE), attach 4 inch pipe on both sides and use Ferco (mechanical) adapters. Your thoughts?

Possibly a Shielded coupling is the way to go

2) I will be installing a floor drain behind the washing machine, is their any "special p-traps" that would prevent water evaporation? I am worries that my floor drain will one day vent sewer gas into the home as it might never see water.

There are deep seal traps but they can allow odor from lack of use

You may want to loo intro a trap seal primer that automatically refills the trap

https://mifab.com/Catalog/Library/Trap_Seal_Primer_Selection_Guide_-_TSP-2015.pdf

If you feel like leaving a "TIP" please consider Saint Jude's hospital or the Schreiners or Terry's tip jar

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
1 shielded coupling 2 trap primer, a lot of people just prime floor drains manually pouring water slowly every month or as needed. technically its code for me but while working in other states with basements common practice was to never use trap primers I was shocked to see new homes pass inspection, but local guys said everyone know if you smell a stink pour water.

Jason8383

Reaction score
I just want to thank Jeff and Sylvan , I am new to plumbing and found the learning curve to be hard.

But just to confirm...

1) The main stack which I will be cutting is on the second floor in the corner of the house, it is vertical, I was told by a plumbing company that this would involve breaking through the flooring and running plumbing piping directly to the main stack, any plumbers here can confirm that the best way to connect a washing machine 2 inch pipe is to the main stack and not with a WYE under the bath tub, I just want what is best?

- If the main stack is the best idea and I cannot spread the joint would you therefore say that the shielded coupling be the best option.

If I can spread the joint than I would be gluing them...

2) I will have a washing machine pan, and a floor drain, that the washing machine pan will attach to it will serve just in case of water flooding what size pipe do I need for this floor drain 2inch, 1.5inch,...? should the pipe for the washing machine drain be the same size as the drain size...

Sam

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your losing me talking about the second floor, the stack is on second floor? and wash machine is on 3rd?
it cant be on floor 2 or 1 other wise you are pumping waste.
2 inch floor drain 2 inch washer p trap , and once you connect those 2 you might need 3 inch but no idea forighn country codes apply. In the USA half the country or less allows 2 inch and the majority (im guessing majority) requires 3 inch

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I just want to thank Jeff and Sylvan , I am new to plumbing and found the learning curve to be hard.

I started doing my own plumbing in the past few years. Learning it is not difficult (if you are mechanically inclined). However, it does require a significant time investment and some good resources.

I would recommend this book Plumbing - Creative Homeowner (COR) - 9781580114851 | HPB. I read 5 or 6 different books, but this is by far the best.

You can download the National Plumbing Code of Canada 2015 for free.

On YouTube, I follow:
- Pros DIY
- Got 2 Learn
- Steven Lavimoniere
- Chuck Barron
- House-Improvemnets.Com

You need to be careful with YouTube ... lots of cowboys.

I terms of blogs, this is by far the best plumbing blog I have found. I read it daily and think through the questions other folks pose to further my own learning/understanding.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
"I started doing my own plumbing in the past few years. Learning it is not difficult (if you are mechanically inclined). However, it does require a significant time investment and some good resources."

Truly amazing, I only had a 5 year apprenticeship (10,000 hours) and 744 hours of class room studies codes, theory etc. and I had to have documented W -2 forms to prove I had 10 years experience before being eligible to take my 4 part masters exams

Last week I had to take a 8 hour CEU class to renew my licenses for fire suppression and plumbing

I wonder if there is "self taught brain surgery " on you tube as it does not seem that difficult with the advice I have seen given

Thankfully many DIY people do allow expert witnesses to make a fortune as they dabble in licensed professions

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks