How to convert a "no hole" tub overflow drain to a 1 or 2 hole

Users who are viewing this thread

Tiffany Herndon

Reaction score
Hello, I need some help with my bathtub situation. I just bought this house, and I have never seen an overflow drain like this before..
I'm trying to use this adjustable overflow drain cover that i purchased to make the water deeper for when I take a bubble bath.. and I can't figure out how or what to mount the 2 screws that are needed to install the new cover. Ill attach pics..
The solid chrome cover with one single screw on the bottom is what's installed now.. i took that off, to find a threaded PVC with another removable threaded piece attached.
The one i want to be installed has a black foam back with 2 holes for mounting screws.
I bought an adapter bar, thinking it would fix my issue, but it also needs to be mounted with 2 screws.. so I'm stumped..
Please help.
Thank you

Attachments

• 20201127_025814.jpg
    20201127_025814.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 859
  • 20201127_025916.jpg
    20201127_025916.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 908
  • 20201127_025742.jpg
    20201127_025742.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,683
  • 20201127_030042.jpg
    20201127_030042.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 772
  • 20201127_025928.jpg
    20201127_025928.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 748
  • 20201127_025947.jpg
    20201127_025947.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 784
  • 20201127_030057.jpg
    20201127_030057.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 786

Fitter30

Reaction score
Thanks for replying,
But the set up on my over flow drain doesnt have anything to screw the 2 screws needed on that pic that link you sent..
Not sure how id be able to use that
That black plastic part has threads the metal flat piece fits in the teeth screwed on the threads of your tub fitting metal piece towards the tub. Then cover plate attaches to the flat metal. One thing we don't know if your threads and theirs are the same.

Tiffany Herndon

Reaction score
That black plastic part has threads the metal flat piece fits in the teeth screwed on the threads of your tub fitting metal piece towards the tub. Then cover plate attaches to the flat metal. One thing we don't know if your threads and theirs are the same.

Oh really? I did not know that.. i thought it looked like my same set up, only with a black piece.
Ill go back to that link and see if the measurements are provided..
Thank youu! Ill let u know if it works for sure:)

Tiffany Herndon

Reaction score

I wanted to add..
I have already bought that little flat metal piece.. but my threaded piece that screws onto the overflow pipe, doesn't have the teeth it would snap onto like the one you sent.
If i purchased that one.. will that allow me to use the overflow drain cover that i bought to replace mine?
Its an adjustable one that has 3 settings, which are closed, half closed, and fully open..
And it has 2 screws needed to mount through the flat metal piece I'm assuming. .so how or what would the screws be screwed into?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ET78ZTC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_7P1WFb1F64TD1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
This is what I'm trying to use on my tub

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't see how that overflow could possibly mount to your tub and work properly. It's designed for the gasket on the back to be up against the tub surface to make a seal. But you have a pipe projecting out through the overflow hole, and it will hold the overflow cover away from the tub, so it can't seal.

Cheers, Wayne

Fitter30

Reaction score
If you can find a PVC plug that matches the id of the overflow drill the center out then slot the sides and cut down the metal bracket.

Tiffany Herndon

Reaction score
I don't see how that overflow could possibly mount to your tub and work properly. It's designed for the gasket on the back to be up against the tub surface to make a seal. But you have a pipe projecting out through the overflow hole, and it will hold the overflow cover away from the tub, so it can't seal.

Cheers, Wayne

Yes, i thought that I would need to cut down the PVC that's poking out from the tub, and make it even with the tub.. but i wanted to make sure before i messed it all up lol
So if I did that.. would it work u think?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
There's probably a gasket behind the tub and that nut you removed is keeping the overflow tight against that gasket. So you might need to keep that nut there to keep a good a seal.

Tiffany Herndon

Reaction score
If you can find a pvc plug that matches the id of the overflow drill the center out then slot the sides and cut down the metal bracket.

Ok, so I followed what you're talking about until the part where u said to slot the sides and cut down the metal bracket..
Why am i cutting down the metal bracket?
Sorry.. I'm trying to understand lol

Tiffany Herndon

Reaction score
There's probably a gasket behind the tub and that nut you removed is keeping the overflow tight against that gasket. So you might need to keep that nut there to keep a good a seal.

This is what it looks like with that threaded nut thing removed from it

20201129_221149.jpg
20201129_221027.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks