How to choose a pressure regulator?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by redsoxfan, Dec 17, 2008.

  1. redsoxfan

    redsoxfan New Member

    Dec 17, 2008
    Ive trolled through the forums for a while but this is my first post. I need to install a pressure regulator in my house (with expansion tank). There is no existing regulator and the line pressure is at 80 and is causing water hammer. I am having trouble figuring out which model and size to get. I looked at the Watts website and a few others but they did not have any info on how to choose an appropriate regulator for my house and they have way to many models. It will be installed on a 3/4 in copper supply line and I would prefer a threaded connnection for easier service in the future. Any advice recommendations on a brand, model, size to get?
  2. Master Plumber Mark

    Master Plumber Mark Master Plumber

    Feb 6, 2005
    Sensitivity trainer.. plumber of mens souls
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
    Wilkins or watts

    It does not really matter that much on a 3/4 house line...

    you are only at 80 psi which is not all that high....

    you can probably get one at Lowes or HD for about $55 bucks that would do the job ok
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. jadnashua

    jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

    Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    While higher pressure can make a water hammer more apparant, you'll still have that condition with lowered pressure. You may want to add some hammer arrestors on those things that cause the hammer (washing machines, ice makers, some toilet valves, etc. - anything that can be turned off quickly).
  5. themp

    themp Member

    Feb 5, 2008
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    I have a Wilkins Model 70 on my house. Installed in 2006 and was 45 dollars at the time. It has a union on one side for easy replacement. Had to get it from a local plumbing supply house. Had 90 pounds of pressure from the city, I reduced this down to around 45 pounds. Some people think this is low, but my family got used to it. I swear it saves on the washer, dishwasher, toilet, etc. I did feed my outside hose bibs before the valve so I had good pressure for washing cars and such.

  6. theplumber

    theplumber Member

    Dec 20, 2008
    Wilkins model 70 is a single strainer and is cheaper than the model 600 which is a double strainer. I've honestly not been able to determine a definite benifit w/ the 600 over the 70. Honeywell/Braukmann makes a decent one that should be cheaper than the model 70.

    Just remember that you are going to want to choose one you can be assured of obtaining 2 years from now. They all have different lengths and aren't interchangable w/out replumbing the piping connection to the regulator. It makes the job go from a 10 minute deal to a 2 hour or more fix if you have to switch to a different model. Wilkins sizes never change, whereas the Braukmann model has recently changed to a smaller version to save material making older homes w/ the old style having to change the piping connecting the regulator.

    Also put in a pressure relief valve on the regulated side. You can put one in easy where a hosebib on the regulated side is. Just put in a T and put your hosebib back in and the P. valve on the other open spot.
  7. hj

    hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

    Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

    If I installed a PRV on your water line, I would set it to 75 or 80 psi, so your system really does not need one. It may not stop the water hammer even if you install it. If it does, it may be more because of the expansion tank acting as an air chamber, than from reduced pressure.
  8. Probedude

    Probedude New Member

    Nov 25, 2008
    I think on paper one flows more than the other but you're absolutely correct about chosing one you can replace the same with later. Mine lasts ~ 5-6 years with our hard water. The price of the rebuild kit is more than the whole WPR from a discount supply house here in town. I have mine set to 60psi to help the RO unit.
Similar Threads: choose pressure
Forum Title Date
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Plumbing with PEX, which option to choose Feb 20, 2017
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Best way to choose a contractor? Mar 10, 2014
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice If you had supplies at no cost, would you choose PVC or CI May 24, 2013
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Help choose a new frostproof wall hydrant. Jul 22, 2010
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Demo Hammer/Roto Hammer--Help me choose Jul 1, 2007

Share This Page